DT770 Pro's Review
Nov 8, 2001 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

fbleagh

Head-Fier
OK you asked for it ( or maybe u didn't ) so heres my first impressions of my beyer DT770's

CD player - CDP-991 ( old industrial type player from '97 i think - great player )
Phones - Sennheiser HD580, BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm
Amps - Total Airhead, MG Head
Interconnects - Jaycar high end Ones
smily_headphones1.gif
- like radioshack but Australian

I've had them running at work for about 6 or 7 hr's.
so they should be starting to warmup a bit.

Construction.

Quite nice.
Overall seems quite solid.
Love the curly cord
smily_headphones1.gif
but its abit annoying when walking as it bounces around a fair bit
and its quite heavy when i does that. But not noticable otherwise.

Comfort.

Alot heavier than my Senns. They also grip your head quite well - sometimes feels a bit tight. I was moving around to a few songs and they stayed put pretty well.
Ears get a little warm wearing them tho so none of the 4 & 5 listening sessions i have with my senns.

Isolation.

i was abit disappointed by the isolation compared to my EX70's when i was listening to these on the train.
I normally stand near the door where ppl aren't gonna hassle me to give the seat or crap like that and i can just read my book in peace.
The disappoinment left when i realised that the door i was standing next to was actually open about 10CM and i removed my DT770's to find it was quite loud in that train. A quick swap to the EX70's showed that the DT770's were only slightly less isolating.

Driving them.
The TA does an admirable job of driving them but something bigger will sound much better
smily_headphones1.gif

The MG Head made these cans sound awesome
smily_headphones1.gif
Lots of power for those nice crisp kick drums
smily_headphones1.gif

Overall sound.

Accentuated bass. Sounds nice , not really boomy and actually breathes abit of life into a few tracks.
The highs seem to roll off quite smoothly removing the harshness
from some tracks. But it also has the effect of pusing some things back eg cymbals.
The Soundstage is a little more closed then the senn's but this sounds really good with alot of metal tracks.

The Tracks I Tested With

Frenzal Rhomb - Punch In The Face
Kyuss - Demon Cleaner
Pearl Jam - Of the Girl ( binaural )
Pearl Jam - Daughter
Scary mother - Ma Laeo ( Australian Experimental Heavy Rock )
Cradle Of Filth - To The Eve of Witchcraft
Cradle Of Filth - The Forest Whisphers My Name
Primus - Highball with the Devil
Primus - Hambuger Train
Primus - Mr Krinkle
Vast - Touched
Vast - Temptation
Machine Head - Davidian
Blue Man Group - Tension 2
Storm - Lokk ( norwegian? folk rock - wierd but cool )
The fifth Element Soundtrack - Diva song pt 1&2
Tea Party - Temptation

Frenzal Rhomb - Punch In The Face
HD580 - airyer , Less low end ( less impactful ), softer highs
DT770 - bass has more punch ( in the face ). highs sharpish but not fatigueing or painful

Kyuss - Demon Cleaner
HD580 - definately less bass, cruiseier (sic)
DT770 - Exciting, That really is a BIG drumkit.

Pearl Jam - Of the Girl ( binaural? )
HGD580 - guitar over there and singer over there - soudstage is awesome and detail is amazing
DT770 - Location queues less prominent. But detail is still there

Pearl Jam - Daughter
HD580 - bass guitar takes background and well defined but cybals really stand out
DT770 - bass more pronounced and cymbals move towards the background

Scary mother - Ma Laeo ( Australian Experimental Heavy Rock )
HD580 - Drums have a nice woody sound to them
DT770 - Woodiness less pronounced. low end gets a bit boomy in some parts - but that track has some REALLY low bass lines.

Cradle Of Filth - To The Eve of Witchcraft
Cradle Of Filth - The Forest Whisphers My Name
HD580 - high end of voices more fatigueing and stage more open and airy
DT770 - high end of voices smoother, less fatiguing

Primus - Highball with the Devil
Primus - Hambuger Train
Primus - Mr Krinkle
HD580 - more open, some of the lower bass guitar a bit quiet but still very good.
DT770 - a bit bass heavy again - not overly so - actually sounded good

Vast - Touched
HD580 - ooooooo, goosebumps
smily_headphones1.gif

DT770 - ambience good, backing vocals very surronding

Vast - Temptation
HD580 - all good but less impact, so an exciting piece gets laid back
DT770 - handled bass very very well. Exciting

-Machine Head - Davidian
-Storm - Lokk ( norwegian? folk rock - wierd but cool )
-The fifth Element Soundtrack - Diva song pt 1&2
-Tea Party - Temptation
All of these i listened to while eating dinner- sounded great , but some of the highs got a bit sharp in temptaion.

Pungent Stench - Blood, Pus & Gastric Juice
HD580 - crisp and quick! Sounded great but Double Kick lacked a bit of oomph
DT770 - oooooo thats the oomph
smily_headphones1.gif

All in all good phones
smily_headphones1.gif
But i need to find a good way to drive them a bit better on the train.
Any ways - If any of you Australian Head-fiers see some idiot standing at the door of a train with long hair
reading a book, Looking quite happy listening to his DT770's its gonna be me
( who the hell else would be silly enough to wear these huge things on a train in sydney
smily_headphones1.gif
)

If u see me say hi
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW - Will post some pic's of these phones later.

Nov 8, 2001 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 10
Nice review fbleagh, thanks.
The way you described DT770 reminds me very much of the DT250-80 I used to own. Anyone has done an A/B comparison between the two?

Nov 8, 2001 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 10
fbleagh,

the sad-smiley-title of your initial post had me worried. But I guess, it's safe now to congratulate you. You seem to be quite pleased with the 770s so far. I think my pair improved within a week of use. As I recall, micro-dynamics and soundstage became better, probably because the drivers relaxed a bit. And I might have become more familiar with their sound as well. Probably a bit of both. Please keep us posted what you think of them after some more breaking-in.
smily_headphones1.gif

blr,

I know both of them. To me, the DT 770 Pros have a superior, larger and less fatiguing soundstage. And the DT 770s reach deeper than the DT 250s, with more slam, and they are a bit airier with more sparkle on top. The tonal balance of the DT 250 and the DT 770 is similar, I'd say. The open DT 990 Pros are a little brighter. And the 990s are more comfortable. fbleagh is right: It can get a little sweaty under the closed 770s. I have had this problem in the summer. The DT 250-80 are quite easily driven. And both versions of the DT 250 (80 and 250 ohms) have better sensitivity than the DT 770/990 Pros.

Nov 8, 2001 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 10
I might be completely off here, but from what I remember of the 770s I found them to be what seemed half way between the 250-80s and the 831s, which to me is a very good spot to be in, although the 770s had more bass response than either.

Maybe I'm just crazy, who knows..

Nov 8, 2001 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 10
Acidtripwow, you took the words right out of my mouth, hopefully i'll be picking up a pair of the 770's soon so i can do a comparison, cant wait to read yours since i own the 7506's.

Fbleagh, thanks for the great review, it was done very well. Like i said above, hopefully i will own a pair of these fine cans, thanks again!

George

Nov 11, 2001 at 3:12 AM Post #10 of 10
eheheheh
smily_headphones1.gif

COF is good to test high end
smily_headphones1.gif

and i have both versions of Sky Valley the original 3 track pain in the bum and the later released multitrack version. Its amazing 1 track per song
smily_headphones1.gif

Kyuss good
smily_headphones1.gif
its nice to goto sleep to
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back