DT770 Pro - Should I send back my SR80s?
Dec 22, 2008 at 8:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Joshy

New Head-Fier
Well, after a few weeks of research I ordered a set of SR80s last week. These are to be my first set of "proper" heaphones I was originally going to go after a set of AD700s but a criticism that kept on coming up was the lack of bass and considering that 97% of my music collection is made up of old reggae and 90s hip hop, head shaking bass is important to me. I heard from a few separate sources that the SR80s packed more bass and literally pulled out my credit card right then and there.

Now this morning (the day the SR80s are due to be delivered!) I'm doing a bit of research to see if I had made the right choice, and then I annoyingly stumble across the DT770 Pros (funnily enough in the buyer's guide of this site that I had somehow managed to miss in the several weeks lurking here!) which are absolutely IDEAL for what I am after - They pack a lotta bass, have a good build quality (I don't look after my things too well
frown.gif
), good for movies and games and have the bonus of being closed which is fairly important as I intend to use them on public transport and such.

To add insult to injury I did a little more research into the SR80s directly and hear that they are crap for movies and games, which is what I'd probably need them for more than music!

I'm seriously starting to regret my decision to go with the SR80s... Can anyone say anything to make me feel better, or should I bite the bullet and send back the SR80s because they aren't suitable for my needs?

Any thoughts welcome

Dec 22, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 14
Your looking for head shaking bass, a fon to watch movies and game with, and also want to use them on public transport- and you want someone to say something to make you feel better about your SR80 purchase?

Have a Merry Christams.

Your research ended in a pre-mature decision, wrong headphone I'm sorry to say. The SR80 are fine fons, good value for money, but not what you want based on your post.

Dec 22, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 14
1) The AD700 don't really lack bass. They just isn't as bassy as your typical basshead can.
2) The SR80 packs more bass, but not a lot more bass. You wouldn't get head shaking bass
3) Even though they are closed the DT770 has zero isolation and is anything but suitable as a portable can
4) Neither should you use an open back like the SR80 on a public transport
5) If you are looking for a bassy portable can you should get the ES7
6) Or an IEM

Dec 22, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) The AD700 don't really lack bass. They just isn't as bassy as your typical basshead can.
2) The SR80 packs more bass, but not a lot more bass. You wouldn't get head shaking bass
3) Even though they are closed the DT770 has zero isolation and is anything but suitable as a portable can
4) Neither should you use an open back like the SR80 on a public transport
5) If you are looking for a bassy portable can you should get the ES7
6) Or an IEM

Huh, DT770 zero isolation???????
You are kidding, the DT770 PRO are one of the best isolating headphones.
And I heard some closed cans to compare....

Dec 22, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh, DT770 zero isolation???????
You are kidding, the DT770 PRO are one of the best isolating headphones.
And I heard some closed cans to compare....

Even if it is the best isolating headphone ever (which it isn't IMHO) the fact that it is difficult to drive out of a portable setup already doesn't make it that suitable as a portable headphone. Not to mention how bulkly it is.

Dec 22, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if it is the best isolating headphone ever (which it isn't IMHO) the fact that it is difficult to drive out of a portable setup already doesn't make it that suitable as a portable headphone. Not to mention how bulkly it is.

Are you talking about the DT770 consumer edition, DT770 pro 80 ohm or DT770 pro 250 ohm?
I am referring to the DT770 pro 80 ohm, which is not so difficult to drive, and has very good isolation. Not the best, I didn't say that....

Dec 22, 2008 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 14
So a SR80 (or any open headphone) wouldn't be suitable for public use even with the volume turned down a fair whack?

If you forget my need to do them publicly, and even forget the want for some insane bass, would the SR80s STILL be unsuitable for my needs (gaming, music that suits bass and movies, in that order)?

Dec 22, 2008 at 9:33 AM Post #8 of 14
Not to make you feel down or anything, but based on your posts, I honestly think that the SR80 isn't for you. If your looking for all around open headphones, which is suitable for music, movies, and games, I think you'd be better of with the Sennheiser HD 555 IMHO. Or if you really like that bass, I suggest a closed pair of headphones would suit you more.

Dec 22, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #9 of 14
In all honesty, I really like my SR80's for electronic, bassy music, with a proper source and amplification the bass can really surprise you with its depth. The subtle warmness of the lower end complements the genre in a good but weird way and the bright highs bring forward a lot of detail, though they for sure works best with jazz/soul and rock. I wouldn't say it sucks for movies, it's a pretty light phone and the airyness of an open can may be preferable for long listening sessions.

Of course I am biased, I really like my SR80's ever since I got them, so imo you should keep them only to see what you think about them after a little burn-in. It's a great open headphone with some fantastic qualities considering the price, but it is too sensitive for surrounding noise to be considered a good portable headphone. You may take a look at the AKG K518dj for portable use, great bass and isolation for a reasonable price, sort of a "mini hd25-1"
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So a SR80 (or any open headphone) wouldn't be suitable for public use even with the volume turned down a fair whack?

It's possible outside sounds could drown out what you're trying to listen to depending on how far you turn them down to avoid disturbing others. Not ideal.

Quote:

If you forget my need to do them publicly, and even forget the want for some insane bass, would the SR80s STILL be unsuitable for my needs (gaming, music that suits bass and movies, in that order)?

That's a matter of taste, I used a pair of grados once for gaming and found them quite reasonable (SR325) however overall I dislike the grado sound and how they feel, not to mention I find them cheaply built.

I think you would be better with closed cans. Under $100 I'd check out the Sony MDR-7506 or it's basically identical (but sold through different distribution channels) and less expensive cousin the MDR-V6. I don't own a pair of either but I intend to get one shortly.

Dec 22, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 14
If your intentions are mostly for games and movies, and for your music listening preferences, the DT 770/80 are definitely the cans for you. Make sure you don't pick up the newer 2005 770/250 version as they have a different sound signature and would not sound as impressive for gaming and movies.

Dec 22, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #12 of 14
I have had my DT-770/80 Pros a few days now and they keep getting better. All the bass I could ever want is there and most of the time I have to dial it down with the EQ because I am not so much a basshead. As far as isolation, when wearing mine while running straight off my computer or iPod I cannot hear anything going on around me and my g/f says she cannot not hear the music from about 6-8 feet away. I did not have her sit next to me like a person might on public transport to see if she could hear it then but for my use the isolation is perfect.

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 14
Before I lost them in a move, I had a pair of DT770/80s and Alessandro MS-1s, and they made a perfect complement to one another.

The Beyers were excellent for movies and gaming, with solid isolation, deep bass, and an impressive soundstage. Positionals were nearly as good as using a 5.1 speaker setup; better, actually, because I didn't have my wife telling me to turn it down in our tiny NYC apartment. Also quite good for electronica and hip-hop. Not as difficult to drive as some think, but they definitely benefit from amplification.

The Alessandros were more fun for most types of music that I listen to -- jazz, rock, classical, vocals -- and I found myself going to them more and more often. They were also easier to drive than the Beyers, running quite nicely off of a Toshiba F40; not that the Beyers suffered too much, just enough to nag me after spending so much time listening to them properly amped. But with zero isolation and minimal soundstage, the MS-1s just weren't suitable for movies or gaming.

Ah...good memories of cans that I accidentally killed. [sniff]

Hope that helps.

Dec 22, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nugget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before I lost them in a move, I had a pair of DT770/80s and Alessandro MS-1s, and they made a perfect complement to one another.

Glad to hear that. I have the DT770/80's and I am getting the MS-1's for Christmas...I think. I have a Little Dot I+ on the way too so I am super excited. Now I just need a DAC and I am set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back