DT770 PRO oddity....
May 22, 2008 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Nihility

100+ Head-Fier
i recently purchased a new pair of dt770PRO's and LOVE them, but recently (as of yesterday) the right ear piece feels/sounds better and can go deeper/stronger with bass heavy songs.

when using a sound test that puts one frequency (i tested a bunch, from 100 hz down to 20 hz) and the right ear piece is able to be heard at the 21 hz while the left is not, it is slightly more than when i got it on the left but not nearly the difference as the right side.

now, when i first purchased them, a month or two ago, both were unable to do anything but make pressure on my ears below 30-40 hz, now im assuming this may be the drivers breaking in more, as i cannot tell the difference during normal songs, but during extended heavy bass, it is noticable. for example, a cd like BASS EXPLOSION USA or a Bass Mekanik cd it is very noticeable (and annoying to have one ear deeper and louder) vs anything else.

everything above 40 hz sounds about the same

is this normal, and the right driver has just broken in faster than the left? or is something weird going on with my dt's?

May 22, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 14
hah no, my brother noticed too and i flipped em around on my head (uncomfy, but worked) and its def the headphones.

the "broken in" one sounds amazing at low frequencies too, but there is a HUGE difference.

im going to put pink noise and some bass heavy music through only the left ear for a little while and see if i can break it in equally.

May 23, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 14
Unfortunately, Beyer really seems to have imbalance problems with some of their headphones. My DT770 Pro also exhibits a slightly different bass response. I wish Beyer would match the drivers and L-R enclosures better.

May 23, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 14
well that sucks. they werent like that to begin with though, which is strange.

ive been breaking in the left ear only for a few hours now, and its actually sounding more like the right one.

i guess ill just keep this up

now by imbalance do you mean that they break in differently or they just flat out will sound different?

May 23, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihility /img/forum/go_quote.gif

now by imbalance do you mean that they break in differently or they just flat out will sound different?

Imbalance usually means one side is louder than the other.

May 23, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 14
only at super-low frequencies, nothing that 99% of my music touches, they sound exactly the same with my normal (even bass heavy) music

only when i touch on SUPER low frequencies in a select few songs/testing tracks is it very noticable.

the odd thing is, i did these tests when i got the cans and they sounded exactly the same on both sides, which is why i think it may just be one side breaking in more than the other.

i have a few tracks that are on my select "pump these songs" list so to say, that have bass mainly in the right ear, how it was recorded i guess, but that could be part of it.

the right sounds more like a vvvvvvttttt than actual bass when its this low, maybe its just the movement from the driver making a noise - other than sound waves, such as it rattling a little bit?

May 23, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 14
Hmm, take a look at the waveform it may be clipping?

Could also be a hair in the driver, though IIRC there is mighty thick foam guarding them.

May 23, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 14
hate to sound like a noob, but up until this purchase my only headphones have been IEM, so... i wouldnt know how to check

May 23, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #11 of 14
I used sweeps and tones when testing my DT770 and found an imbalance in the sub 20Hz frequencies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Run a frequency sweep using this. Testing imbalance using music isn't reliable.

May 25, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 14
i have been using sweeps, tones, etc.

i called up beyerdynamic, and they told me to send them in, they would replace the right driver for free

so, currently i have no headphones cept my er4p's (my beyers have spoiled me i think) so im a bit depressed. nothing better than free though
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #13 of 14
ER4P and Beyers? Odd combination hehe

May 26, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #14 of 14
i got the er4-p's as a present before i really knew anything about good headphones, they were just "really nice sounding portable things" that i carried around everywhere. i got them for my birthday last year after my dog ate my er6i's.

after realizing i really wanted some nice full sized headphones, i started investigating - coming across head-fi... my wallet hates you guys, but my ears love every moment
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back