DT770-PRO/80 and gaming: Amp required?
Aug 9, 2006 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kaluminati

Head-Fier
I've been playing a lot of FPS with these cans and usually what I do is just plug them into my 5.25 bay that comes with my x-fi platinum and switch to gaming mode. Problem is, I get loads of distortion with loud explosions. I have a pimeta amp but it splits the output into 2 channels am I right? These wouldn't be to ideal unless I can just switch it to headphone mode and it would route it properly. Any suggestions?

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 8
If its for gaming, i dont think you need an amp.For listening to music you can use one but you dont have to.The 250 Ohm version is a different story.I have the new DT 770/32 Manufacture and even from the Ipod its loud and poooooowerful.

catwoman

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Catwoman
If its for gaming, i dont think you need an amp.For listening to music you can use one but you dont have to.The 250 Ohm version is a different story.I have the new DT 770/32 Manufacture and even from the Ipod its loud and poooooowerful.

catwoman

But why would I get such heavy distortion even at low levels? I don't use the crystalizer or eq for gaming, but I do use EAX. EAX on or off the distortion is stil there.

Aug 9, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 8
I've used my DT770/80s both with and without my PA2V2 amp and haven't experienced much, if any, difference in distortion or positioning. Explosions and gunshots sound punchier with the amp, though.

The distortion problem may come from the headphone jack on your drive bay. I've heard people complain about the quality of it, but don't have any experience with it personally. I plug the headphones (or the amp) directly in to jack on my card.

Quote:

I have a pimeta amp but it splits the output into 2 channels am I right? These wouldn't be to ideal unless I can just switch it to headphone mode and it would route it properly. Any suggestions?

I have a pimeta on the way, and plan to use it for music and gaming. Are you saying that the positional audio would get distorted somehow by the channels being split?

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dagobah
I've used my DT770/80s both with and without my PA2V2 amp and haven't experienced much, if any, difference in distortion or positioning. Explosions and gunshots sound punchier with the amp, though.

The distortion problem may come from the headphone jack on your drive bay. I've heard people complain about the quality of it, but don't have any experience with it personally. I plug the headphones (or the amp) directly in to jack on my card.

I have a pimeta on the way, and plan to use it for music and gaming. Are you saying that the positional audio would get distorted somehow by the channels being split?

Well that's what I'm not sure about. It's like making the cans 2 speakers isn't it? I could be wrong here and probably am.

Aug 9, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 8
Have you tried it at all? I'm curious to hear your impressions of the DT770/80 + pimeta combo for gaming, since I'll soon have that myself.

I've been using RightMark 3D Sound to test positional audio. I don't know if there's something better available for subjectively testing this... other than actually playing a game.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back