DT770 Consumer Edition: Not Impressed Is Something Wrong?
Dec 28, 2008 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

AlexinExile

100+ Head-Fier
So I have had the DT770s (Consumer Edition) since November and have been running them through a Zero DAC/AMP and they sounded decent. I just got a Mini Starving Student Amp from Whiplash Audio and thought the sound would improve dramatically. Sadly, the sound has only improved marginally. I think these headphones just aren't for me. I love the sound of my atrios so I am thinking about the DT770s 80ohm or the 250ohm non consumer edition. Is this a good idea or am I just doing something wrong? I am a fan of electronic music and like fun headphones...

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #2 of 32
I have no experience with the amps and sources you've used with your headphones, but I've been listening to my DT770 Edition 2005 for about the last 4 hours straight (time for a break, I know...) and really enjoying them.

I've owned the DT770 Pro/80 twice in the past, and would definitely say that I prefer the Edition 2005 overall.

Musically, I've been on pretty much a steady diet of progressive rock for a while now, so I've mostly been listening to old, unremastered Genesis albums, etc. All I can say is that with my setup, listening to this type of music with these headphones, I have to give the Gilmore Lite more volume than I do with my other headphones, but they really come to life with these old recordings and sound amazing.

There are some open headphones I might suggest to you, but again I haven't heard your source(s) and amp(s). As far as closed headphones go, I wouldn't expect much more from the other big contenders.

Just for the sake of comparison, have you tried running your Edition 2005 straight from your Power Mac G5? Mine actually do alright with the built-in headphone jack of my Power Mac G4.

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 32
You expected too much. There's alot of hype here, that if read on the surface and assumed to be true, it would be a gross exaggeration.

There will be subtle changes, some for the worse, some for the better. Some people respond to tonality as a drastic improvement, but in reality it's a tone change from different amps and not so much the ability to drive or the inability to drive a pair of headphones.

Whether your reaction is the right or wrong approach is unknown. There's not a whole lot of information to go on.

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 32
I bought and sold mine, they weren't for me. Sucked out midrange just...sucked. Highs were really bright.

The FQ curve is perfect for techno music. That stuff sounds really good on the 770 250 ohm.

Dec 28, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 32
DT770 Pro's are a downgrade to the DT770 consumer edition. I'm afraid you will regret it.

I owned both the DT770 consumer edition and the Pro 80 ohm, and ended up with the DT150 and the German Maestro GMP 250.

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 32
Interesting... I have a friend who owns the DT150 and we both agree that it is hyped in both bass and treble. People complain that the DT770 is too bassy but the DT150 makes it seem flat by comparison! In fact my friend is an audio engineer and uses the DT150 as a sanity check to make sure there isn't too much bass/treble in the mix.

Regarding Pro versus consumer editions of the DT770, I have not heard the consumer edition but from what I read it is rather like the 250 ohm Pro, i.e. too much top end compared to the 80 ohm Pro.

Anyway I have been using the Pro 80 for several years and could hardly be happier with it. For low level listening and usability straight out of a DAP it's very hard to beat. If the mids seem quiet, it means you have the volume up too high, folks!

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexinExile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I have had the DT770s (Consumer Edition) since November and have been running them through a Zero DAC/AMP and they sounded decent. I just got a Mini Starving Student Amp from Whiplash Audio and thought the sound would improve dramatically. Sadly, the sound has only improved marginally. I think these headphones just aren't for me. I love the sound of my atrios so I am thinking about the DT770s 80ohm or the 250ohm non consumer edition. Is this a good idea or am I just doing something wrong? I am a fan of electronic music and like fun headphones...

What part of their sound do you wanna improve?

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are looking for something else get the Ultrasone 780 or Denon 2000. Both are superior to the various DT770 editions IMHO.

Only in YOUR HO.
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only in YOUR HO.
wink.gif

Well, maybe the D2000 isn't clearly better than the DT770 when it comes to bass, but the HFI 780 clearly has a faster, tighter and more controlled bass. The DT770's reputation as the best basshead can of its price range, to me, is a very outdated one and both the HFI 780 and D2000 are at the very least worth considering over the DT770.

Dec 29, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting... I have a friend who owns the DT150 and we both agree that it is hyped in both bass and treble. People complain that the DT770 is too bassy but the DT150 makes it seem flat by comparison! In fact my friend is an audio engineer and uses the DT150 as a sanity check to make sure there isn't too much bass/treble in the mix.

Regarding Pro versus consumer editions of the DT770, I have not heard the consumer edition but from what I read it is rather like the 250 ohm Pro, i.e. too much top end compared to the 80 ohm Pro.

Anyway I have been using the Pro 80 for several years and could hardly be happier with it. For low level listening and usability straight out of a DAP it's very hard to beat. If the mids seem quiet, it means you have the volume up too high, folks!

I agree on too much top end on the DT770 consumer edition. But it's clearer, airier and more detailed than the Pro ones, with more soundstage, good mids and tight bass. In my opinion, the consumer edition is an improvement over the Pro versions.

To my ears the DT150 has a solid bass that is well integrated in the sound and not overpowering or boomy. I found the DT770 Pro bass boomy, separated from the rest of the audio spectrum and downright annoying.
The highs of the DT150 are shlightly rolled off. I really can't see how they are hyped in the treble. Not to my ears and with my gear.
But we all have different ears and equipment
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 32
Hmm, I suppose Beyerdynamic may modify the driver design over time so we may not be comparing the exact same headphones. Also, break-in may be a factor. I think I'll borrow those DT150s again and see whether anything has changed in the four years or so since I last heard them
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexinExile /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You probably just don't like the beyer house sound.
Try another headphone with a different sound signature.

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Barry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I suppose Beyerdynamic may modify the driver design over time so we may not be comparing the exact same headphones. Also, break-in may be a factor. I think I'll borrow those DT150s again and see whether anything has changed in the four years or so since I last heard them
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same. I have the newer 250 ohm model. I know there are older DT150's with a different ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back