Dt770, A700, or A900
May 6, 2007 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ueyteuor

1000+ Head-Fier
So, Im looking for my next headphones, since I only own the akg k240s, I want to go for some closed isolated cans. should I got for the dt770, a700, or a900? is there a huge difference between the a700 or a900? and I know the dt770 have more bass, but which has better sound quality? Oh, and ill be using a Mister X Pimeta amp.. I like all music styles too, just not so much metal or screamo, just easy listening (indie and new folk)

one more concern, the a900 are only 40ohms... the dt770 are 250ohms.. what exactly does this mean? Are the beyers louder?

May 6, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 5
dt770s also come in an 80ohm version. All this really means is that the A900s are much easier to drive (no need for an amp... amping improves them but not that much, IMO). DT770s, however, are very power hungry and if you want to get the best out of them, you should use an amp.

From what i've heard, the DT770 stock has more bass quantity, but the bass is not as tight... it's a little muddier than the A900s. Also, the midrange on the DT770s are slightly more recessed, and they tend to be a little brighter in the treble range. Amping will improve the 770s quite a bit, however. I haven't amped both the A900 and DT770 together and been able to A/B them so i can't compare that, but they're roughly the same... DT770s are just more of a basshead can.

If you ever plan on throwing more money into your headphones, and you like bass, get the DT770s and Darth them later on. If not, then it's really up to you

May 6, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you ever plan on throwing more money into your headphones, and you like bass, get the DT770s and Darth them later on. If not, then it's really up to you

Does darth mean the buying the wooden ends for the dt770s? or what

May 6, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does darth mean the buying the wooden ends for the dt770s? or what

Yep. Darth Beyers are the name given to Larry @ headphile's custom work of recabling, woodying, and modifying the internal architecture of DT770s. From what i've read, it's quite a drastic change from the stock DT770s and improves them vastly in all regards. I have mine on order right now, and they should be here in a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back