DT770-80 with Macbook Pro....amp recommended?
Apr 29, 2012 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

acti0n

100+ Head-Fier
After scouring the forums, I've read some mixed opinions on this. Some people say an amp is a necessity, even for this 80 ohm version, while others say they can't tell the difference.

At a safe listening level, does an amp make a significant enough difference in sound quality to warrant the purchase? I don't care about cranking up the volume, I only care about sound quality at a safe, comfortable listening level. If you believe an amp is needed, what portable amp would be ideal for these (under $100)?

Also, it should be noted I'll be primarily listening to MP3s streamed from services such as MOG and Rdio.

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
After scouring the forums, I've read some mixed opinions on this. Some people say an amp is a necessity, even for this 80 ohm version, while others say they can't tell the difference.

At a safe listening level, does an amp make a significant enough difference in sound quality to warrant the purchase? I don't care about cranking up the volume, I only care about sound quality at a safe, comfortable listening level. If you believe an amp is needed, what portable amp would be ideal for these (under $100)?

Also, it should be noted I'll be primarily listening to MP3s streamed from services such as MOG and Rdio.

Heya,

You can definitely tell the difference, mostly in the low regions. At moderate volumes, an amp will fill out the dynamics of the headphone with some power behind it. For something that runs off the MacBook, I would put you on the Fiio E10. If you want pure portability and desktop use, maybe the Fiio E7 or an iBasso D-ZERO.

Very best,

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:

Heya,

You can definitely tell the difference, mostly in the low regions. At moderate volumes, an amp will fill out the dynamics of the headphone with some power behind it.

I really agree with this. I never noticed it until getting my amp and now having listened to it primarily for the past four months or so. I couldn't have put it any better than MalVeauX when he said 'fill out the dynamics'. The amp just seems to fill out the sound, and I use a MacBook as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back