DT770 (80) vs HD595 ?!???
Jul 21, 2007 at 6:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cshaun

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm fairly new here, but would love to get some advice.
Anyway I've been pulling my hear out for the last few days trying to decide what headphones to buy. After much reading I sorta settled on the DT770's.
However cost for the DT770 and HD595 are almost exactly the same in my position.
Can get the HD595's locally from a wholesaler I deal with, but goto import the DT770's from Germany. So a little more hassles for the DT770's - but I'm fully willing to do it.
(Cheapest I've found is 135 EUR - let me know if there's somewhere cheaper to get them)

Anyway I work from home on my computer all day. Usually listening to music on my headphones. Just recently spent a fortune on my new computer and will also be playing games on this.

So anyway what I'm really after is a set of durable, comfortable good quality headphones. I just bought some Logitech Z-5500's to take advantage of surround sound (these are mainly just for gaming - I know they're not the best speakers in the world).
So I may plug the headphones into these...?
At the moment I'm using the on board sound of my "P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP"
(http://www.asus.co.nz/products.aspx?...46&modelmenu=1)

Been thinking of getting an X-Fi for gaming (haven't had a creative card in many many years and really don't know if I'm missing much or not) but thought I'd wait a month or two and see what results from the Prelude. So that's all up in the air.

The headphones will be used almost exclusively with the computer. And weighting for usage is probably something like 65% music, 30% gaming, 5% movies. I also figure I'd probably like the sound of the DT770's with the stronger base. More into rock, and er yeah not a fan of classical.

Also slightly worried about the 80ohm's of the DT770 compared to the HD595's?

Anyway would really appreciate your opinions and feedback.

Jul 21, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks,

Had read the latter.

And just to clarify it's the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros (80 ohm) I'm looking at. (From what I can tell these are the ones I want - not the 250 ohm ones).

Also what would be best to be plugging these into (sound card direct, logitech speaker line-out, front panel audio out on case)? I'd like to avoid an amp...

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 5
With the pair of DT 770 Pros i just goes, i can't really tell a difference in sound quality no matter where they're plugged into. Depending on which X-Fi card you get, you won't be able to hook up the front audio ports on your case to the card. So, in this situation, you'll either have to connect it to your sound card (if the cable is long enough) or to the control module for your speakers. Unless, of course, you do what i did and buy the expensive X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion card to get the front i/o bay, which is what i use for my headphones.

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 5
Hi Mansize_tissue, funny to see you here. (I'd read your whole thread on HardForm and here as things were progressing). You were/are in a similar situation as myself, so reading along your discussion was most helpful.

So you got it from "extremeprosound" on ebay then?

So yeah fully up to date with all the issues you were discussing :)
Um yeah no definitely don't want the front drive i/o bay (even if it's free). LOL

Um yeah I realize creative being the bastards as they are have made things hard. I'm guessing wouldn't be an issue with the Prelude, but yeah anyway that's an issue for when I actually have a card. Asking more on the quality side of things - assuming it can be connected.

So anyway you're completely happy with them? Any other comments issues? Or anything you weren't expecting (pleasant or unpleasant)?

On a side note, are you happy with your X-Fi (driver/software wise and the EAX effects? Guess you haven't really had enough time to judge though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back