DT770/80 Pro Distortion
Feb 15, 2007 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jaisin

New Head-Fier
I use the headphones with my amp. They seem to distort very easily when I turn them up. I don't notice this problem with the 325i's. What could be causing it?

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 9
I think someone else mentioned this in a recent post using 770's and a headroom amp. Have you tried the different gain settings on the amp?

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think someone else mentioned this in a recent post using 770's and a headroom amp. Have you tried the different gain settings on the amp?

Yes I did, but I'm not sure which one to use. The level that I set it at isn't a good listening level because its a little bit too loud. I normally listen lower, but I was just experimenting.

Feb 15, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 9
If you get the same kind of distortion from other sources than your amp, you'll propably have a hair or some kind of dirt in the driver. Nothing very serious in general, but it's hard to get that out from Beyer fons.

Had the same problem with my DT531s and finally suceeded, but I had to do lots of really brutal actions to get there. Now my DT531 are -inevitably- hardcore-quartermodded and sound superb.

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you get the same kind of distortion from other sources than your amp, you'll propably have a hair or some kind of dirt in the driver. Nothing very serious in general, but it's hard to get that out from Beyer fons.

Had the same problem with my DT531s and finally suceeded, but I had to do lots of really brutal actions to get there. Now my DT531 are -inevitably- hardcore-quartermodded and sound superb.

How can you tell if it is from that or just being too loud?

Feb 15, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 9
Try different sources than your amp. If it also happens with Daddy's Ghetto Blaster, it will be the hair thing.

Don't know loud you turn up though - (almost) every fon starts distorting at very high volumes. If you're under 22, I fear the worst. Youth + Testosteron + fon = damaged ears.

Feb 16, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try different sources than your amp. If it also happens with Daddy's Ghetto Blaster, it will be the hair thing.

Don't know loud you turn up though - (almost) every fon starts distorting at very high volumes. If you're under 22, I fear the worst. Youth + Testosteron + fon = damaged ears.

Whats considered high? I measured the volume at which it distorts to be close to 95 dB.

Feb 16, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #8 of 9
If roundabout 95 dB is your listening volume, you're definetely a testosterone junky and will use hearing aids before you're 30, I fear.
plainface.gif

However, the fon shouldn't distort at 95 dB. Get that hair thingy out. If you don't manage, you can send them to Beyer, who will exchange the whole driver. Expensive.

BTW, to exclude remainder possibilities, hope you don't use EQ or other soundcard playthings. There are lots of fons that can't stand that, especially at high volumes.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaisin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats considered high? I measured the volume at which it distorts to be close to 95 dB.

You know, over listening 85db or over is harmfull to ears on longer periods. Couple of hours is enough to cause damage. Ears do recover, but constantly harned the damage becomes permanent, UNRECOVERABLE. This represents itself as constant tinnitus, a ringing ears. And it becomes worse as time passes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back