DT770-80/Darth Beyers Discussion
Jul 8, 2006 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

alex_cs

100+ Head-Fier
Try as i might searching this brilliant forum, I have a few questions left over!

1. In Australia, we have on offer a Beyer called a DT770M which is 80ohms, with an inline volume control. Can anyone confirm if this is the DT770-80 mentioned all over this forum?

2. Has anyone DBT'ed, or simply got opinions on, the sonic differences of a Darth Beyer, and a Headphiled DT770-80 (recabled only, no woody)?

3. Assuming question 1 is a negative, where is the cheapest place to buy a DT770-80 and a recable? It would seem it is at Headphile (and that also seems to be the most qualified and respected) but i wanted to see where else you can aquire these.

4. I currently have whats in my sig, will a woodied or just recabled DT770-80 give me the extra bass and lower midrange that the DT880 seems to lack? (only 50hours on DT880, so im not writing them off by any means, just curious) I am planning on eventually getting an HD600/650, and a K701, but feedback suggests the bass of the darth is unbeatable. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks guys

PS. Assume dynamic and SS for now, I dont need the temptation of tubes and/or electrostat at this point, my credit card is already very annoyed
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 14
and sound different as in Worse. yes the DT770M isolate far more than the normal can, but maybe it's the volume control in the cable? something really muddies up the sound versus the normal DT770.

Jul 9, 2006 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 14
The Darth Beyers and the Headphile recabled only DT770/80 (less wood enclosures) are one in the same. The other upgrade to the Darth Beyers would be to go woody which would make them Woody Darth Beyers. Darth Beyers definitely has a deeper and tighter bass than the stock DT770/80. Your best bet would be to go thru Headphile and purchase the DT770/80 then have Larry Darth Beyer them.

Jul 9, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
The Darth Beyers and the Headphile recabled only DT770/80 (less wood enclosures) are one in the same. The other upgrade to the Darth Beyers would be to go woody which would make them Woody Darth Beyers. Darth Beyers definitely has a deeper and tighter bass than the stock DT770/80. Your best bet would be to go thru Headphile and purchase the DT770/80 then have Larry Darth Beyer them.

ok thanks for that. in terms of the bass, beyond what youve said, is there more bass than standard, or is it simply that its tighter and goes deeper?

Jul 9, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 14
I would say more of it along with it being tighter and deeper. When I listen to my Darth Beyers compared to my stock DT770/80, bass from the Darth Beyers definitely sounded fuller. It's as if you could feel the rumble thru the cans with certain types of music thru the DBs. The Darth Beyers also has a more foward sound than the stock DT770/80 but not all bright sounding.

Jul 9, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu

This is all 100% accurate in my experience, and I own 2 sets of Woodied Darth Beyers and one stock DT770/32, and have owned the stock DT770/80. The Woodied DB's are better than the stock 770/80 in every way. The recable improves mostly the treble and midrange, and the woody mod improves the mids further, and seriously tightens the bass (although does not "lessen" it).

The Darth beyers become a serious high end headphone. Yes, I am a fanboy, but I became one for a good reason. I prefer the Darth beyers to stock HD650's, DT880's, ATW1000, and Sony SA3000, all of which I owned. Just my opinion, but if you at all cotton to the sound of the stuck DT770, you will LOVE the Darth Beyers.

Jul 9, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #10 of 14
oh, plus - the darth beyers can do Refined, no joke. we paired it with a channel islands DAC and a portaphil V2 I think, and Arturo Sandoval sounded quality, even tho it was a live recording. amazing stuff.

Jul 9, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
oh, plus - the darth beyers can do Refined, no joke. we paired it with a channel islands DAC and a portaphil V2 I think, and Arturo Sandoval sounded quality, even tho it was a live recording. amazing stuff.

Absolutely. I have seen people post that they "doubt" this, but none of those people ever OWNED a Darth Beyer. They really are legitimate high-end can.

Jul 9, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 14
I'm very interested in a Darth Beyer DT770pro. I love my stock DT770pro 250ohm headphones, and the thought of having the same comfort, yet better sound is really appealing.

If anyone has any more comparisons between the stock and modded that would be very helpful. Or, if anyone can comment on what I could expect coming from my headphones, that would be even better.

Darn, I wish I could hear one in person!

Jul 9, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 14
Any more specifics on how they are better than the Senn HD600/650?

Also, even better, anyone compare Darth Beyers to L3000s?
evil_smiley.gif
I know they'll fall short, but exactly how and where would be interesting...

Jul 9, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #14 of 14
Haven't done a in depth comparison between my Darth Beyers and my L3000s. A quick comparison between the two would be that the L3000s excels over the Darth Beyers in the area of soundstage and the level of detail. The L3000s had a larger soundstage and is much more detailed sounding than the Darth Beyers. The mids also seemed a bit more life like to me out of the L3000s than the Darth Beyers. They are also not as warm sounding as the Darth Beyers and can come off sounding a little bright with certain source components and amps. In the area of bass between the two I would have to say that the Darth Beyers wins hands down IMO. The Darth Beyers has more bass and slam than the L3000s while the L3000s has enough bass to complement the rest of it's sonic signature nicely. As I have mentioned earlier, it's the one set of cans that I've own and tried so far where with certain types of music you can actually feel the rumble from the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back