DT770 (250 Ohms): Transparency and Isolation
Jun 7, 2016 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Pana Sonic

Head-Fier
I have some questions about the 250 ohm DT770 specifically:

1. I haven't been able to find any graphs on the 250 ohm version, so how flat/accurate/transparent is this headphone?

2. I own the K701 and know it will beat this headphone in detail and resolution, but how far of a "downgrade" will it be?

3. Are there any other closed headphones that isolate better (besides IEM's and the DT770M)?

4. Has the DT770 signature changed over time? Some people say it was given a V-shape recently, but is this really due to changes in manufacturing?

5. How does it perform with female vocals?

I'll be amping this with an O2+ODAC, but I might consider using my desktop motherboard's output when I'm on the go. I really only listen to anime music, but this will probably be used exclusively with games.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 8
Here you have a graph K701 vs DT770 (250)

The Beyer is brighter and has boosted bass next to the much more mid-centric K701

Here you have a similar graph for K701 and Shure SRH-940 which is closer to the K701 in terms of sound signature.

Hope this helps!

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 8
I own both and also Odac and separately O2, the signature of both is so different, the most clear difference is quantity and quality of bass, akg minor quantity but controlled, not invasive in other frequencies, DT770 great amount but making the sound too full of it. Mid (like voices) much better in 701 in 770 is not so bad but covered a bit from bass and recessed, high in my opinion in 770 are with enfasi more than natural sound should be. Using 95%Akg and 5% Beyer. Heavy metal is more enjoyable with DT770 because of drums punch but miss mid aggressive guitar. My opinion

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 8
  I have some questions about the 250 ohm DT770 specifically:

1. I haven't been able to find any graphs on the 250 ohm version, so how flat/accurate/transparent is this headphone?

2. I own the K701 and know it will beat this headphone in detail and resolution, but how far of a "downgrade" will it be?

3. Are there any other closed headphones that isolate better (besides IEM's and the DT770M)?

4. Has the DT770 signature changed over time? Some people say it was given a V-shape recently, but is this really due to changes in manufacturing?

5. How does it perform with female vocals?

I'll be amping this with an O2+ODAC, but I might consider using my desktop motherboard's output when I'm on the go. I really only listen to anime music, but this will probably be used exclusively with games.

1. I don't think the DT770 or the DT1770 will  be "flat" or accurate any time soon.
2. It's not a downgrade just a change in sig.
3. What's the budget?  
4. Hard to tell.  Beyer QC is always a tad off in this regard.
5. Compared to?  Hd650 and Hd600 take the cake in this range of headphones, but they aren't closed.

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for your responses everyone! I was afraid I'd get linked to the DT770-DT880-DT990 comparison thread (which didn't quite elaborate enough for me).

Quote:
  Here you have a graph K701 vs DT770 (250)

The Beyer is brighter and has boosted bass next to the much more mid-centric K701

Here you have a similar graph for K701 and Shure SRH-940 which is closer to the K701 in terms of sound signature.

Hope this helps!

Oh that graph was for the 250 ohm version? I believe they had the other ohms, but didn't list the 250 ohm one.

Now I'm interested in that SRH-940! Might be outta my range though.

I own both and also Odac and separately O2, the signature of both is so different, the most clear difference is quantity and quality of bass, akg minor quantity but controlled, not invasive in other frequencies, DT770 great amount but making the sound too full of it. Mid (like voices) much better in 701 in 770 is not so bad but covered a bit from bass and recessed, high in my opinion in 770 are with enfasi more than natural sound should be. Using 95%Akg and 5% Beyer. Heavy metal is more enjoyable with DT770 because of drums punch but miss mid aggressive guitar. My opinion

Hmm...I had the same experience with the 80 ohm version at Guitar Center. Honestly it sounded good, but I didn't have a lot of time with it (nor could I amp it). But you're talking about the 250 ohm version right?

1. I don't think the DT770 or the DT1770 will  be "flat" or accurate any time soon.
2. It's not a downgrade just a change in sig.
3. What's the budget?  
4. Hard to tell.  Beyer QC is always a tad off in this regard.
5. Compared to?  Hd650 and Hd600 take the cake in this range of headphones, but they aren't closed.

1. Damn, that DT1770 was over $500 too! Thanks for the heads up!
2. That's a relief then. I was a bit worried about "wasting" $150 on something inferior to the K701 that I already own.
3. Even though I have money, I really shouldn't go beyond the DT770 price range (~$150).
4. Ironic how everyone wants German made. Besides Beyer's QC, I just opened up my Austrian K701 yesterday and found HORRIBLE solder joints. Ended up redoing them.
5. Probably compared to Audio Technica or AKG. Was never a fan of Sennheisers from what I've experienced so far.

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 8
  Oh that graph was for the 250 ohm version? I believe they had the other ohms, but didn't list the 250 ohm one.

Now I'm interested in that SRH-940! Might be outta my range though.

Yep, that's the 250 Ohm version.

You should consider the Soundmagic HP150 (169usd or so...)

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Ended up price matching at Guitar Center and getting the 250 ohm DT770.

My thoughts? It's way flatter than I thought it would be, and it really isolates well! Although people say it has recessed mids, the instrument separation prevents this from being an issue. I'm also shocked that it plays so well out of my phones unamped. I can even use the same volume level as the 80 ohm version IIRC.

Compared to the 80 ohm version, I feel the 250 ohm version clamps tighter and isn't as bright. In fact, the better isolation is probably a result of this tightening (although I heard the 80 ohm DT770 has a bass reflex port "enhancement").

Users who are viewing this thread

Back