DT770 (2005 250ohm) or PROline 650?
Apr 2, 2007 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Cake

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to decide on a closed headphone, and I think the decision has come down to a choice between the 2005 model Beyer DT770, the PROline 650, or (if it's worth spending the extra $60 considering my tastes and setup) the PROline 750.

My setup is a computer-as-source system, with 60 gigs of music approximately half Apple Lossless and half 256kbps MP3/AAC. I use a MHDT Labs Dialogue II DAC, connected via USB, and run its output to a Gilmore Lite v2 via Belkin PureAV silver series interconnects.

I currently listen primarily through a Grado SR-325i, the sound signature of which I love a lot. I'm not trying to replace it as my primary headphone. I live in a fraternity house that can get pretty noisy, and the room I will be living in next year will be even closer to the basement and hence noisier. So I want to buy a comfortable closed headphone with plenty of isolation for the noisy times.

Like I said, I do like the signature of my taped-bowls-modded SR-325i, which is probably not completely "accurate," since it emphasizes the bass slam and the highs and gives a "fun" and engrossing sound to my music. Detail in the highs is important.

I listen to a lot of electronica-tinged alternative music and also indie/alt rock. My test music, for which a headphone HAS to perform well, is always Radiohead and Pink Floyd. Other artists that I listen to a lot include The Arcade Fire, Muse, The Who, & Led Zeppelin. I don't really prioritize headstage/soundstage.

SO: what do you guys think? DT770 (2005 250ohm) or PROline 650? Or should I consider paying a $60 premium over those two for the PROline 750, if it would more closely complement what I'm used to with the Grados?

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm kind of surprised my question didn't get any responses; I thought the Ultrasone PROlines were the current FOTM. Has the interest cooled down?

Apr 3, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Detail in the highs is important.

Considering this factor alone, the PROline 750 would easily be worth the additional dough. I can't imagine a more revealing closed headphone in its price range and it delivers far greater treble extension than the PROline 650. Bass-extension, depth and authority are also superior to the 650.

I haven't heard the DT770 250Ohm, but I have spent some time with the DT770 80Ohm and compared them to my 750s. I found the bass on the Beyers to be substantial, but it is also somewhat looser and less well-controlled than the Ultrasones. And regarding high-end detail, the 750s had better clarity and were more transparent, to my ears.

So for the relatively small difference in price, I think you'd find the PROline 750 to be a rather good value.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the DT770 250Ohm, but I have spent some time with the DT770 80Ohm and compared them to my 750s.

I'm sure you're right, but it might pay to check out the newer model anyway as there have been modifications and, dare I say it, improvements?

Apr 3, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the DT770 250Ohm, but I have spent some time with the DT770 80Ohm and compared them to my 750s. I found the bass on the Beyers to be substantial, but it is also somewhat looser and less well-controlled than the Ultrasones. And regarding high-end detail, the 750s had better clarity and were more transparent, to my ears.

Was the DT770 i checked out at the meet the 80 Ohm, Dex?
If it is, my answer to your question Cake, will be the same as Dex and not very helpfull I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back