DT440 unamped (Question for the Beyers)
Dec 8, 2009 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

inf.h5n1

New Head-Fier
Hi all
ive been searching for any piece of availble information about this model in Head-Fi, and couldnt answer one question, and i hope you can help me.
would DT440 sound good without any amp from ipod or any other portable player? i know it could benefit from an amp (but what can wouldnt?) so if im using them from an ipod, do they worth the price or should i stay with my M50?

thanks, Uri.

Dec 8, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 8
Forget the iPod - the 440 is great from my Sony X. If you are sticking with the iPod, look at something like the T3 to give you the necessary oomph for fullsize cans - definitely cheaper than buying an X, but be aware that the T3 wont flatter any poor quality MP3 files : high bitrate rips are the way to go.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #3 of 8
Im already with lossless type files on my ipod, the sony X have higher impedance?
Anyway, since the T3 is way out of my budget, will a FiiO E5\E3 help?
why not use the 440 with iPod?

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 8
If you want to use the 440s with your iPod, what is stopping you ? I only made a recommendation.

DAPs dont have 'higher impedance', but a more powerful digital amp like that in the X will drive larger cans - as with anything, there are limits. The DT440 is not a hard to drive headphone, but it does have large enclosures - you need a good amp to push sound into anything that size, IMO. I consider the amp on the stock iPod Classic to be underpowered, and my 1G Touch even more so - YMMV. Have no idea what the Fiio is capable of - this thread would be better placed in the Portable Amp section.

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Thank you, ill ask in the portable amp forum
but just to make it clear for me, without any amp, from an iPod,you say that the 440 does not worth it?

ony other 440's owner opinion?

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 8
help? i really want to make sure this cans will work unamped..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back