DT250 vs. DT770?
Oct 20, 2001 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Toe

100+ Head-Fier
In another thread, Nerdua is reccomending the 250s over the 770s, while Tomcat prefers the 770s. I'd like some more opinions on these headphones, and of course WHY you prefer one over the other.

Oct 20, 2001 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 26
well, to me the DT250's sounded much flatter. They might not have as wide a soundstage but it's not too bad for a closed phone. They sounded very clear with smooth treble and midrange, slightly exagerated bass, and a very satisfying punch at any frequency--they're probably the most dynamic cans i've heard. The DT770's sounded, as Headroom puts it, thick. They're bass was too overpowering; they weren't the bassiest headphones I've heard but their bass wasn't really "warm" or "dark." It was thick. They didn't have the warmth I was expecting. They had good dynamics but I still prefer the DT250's. Basically, they sounded like headphones through an equalizer with a whole bunch of frequencies exagerated or something. They really didn't sound real to my ears. I wish I had a pair that i could listen to right now to be absolutely sure of all these comments; but from what i remember those were my thoughts coming back from the meet.

Oct 20, 2001 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 26
I prefer the 770 Pros because the 250 (80 Ohms) have a slightly nasal quality , their mids aren't exactly smooth. And the 770s have a far larger, deeper, more precise and natural soundstage. And they have more extended and impactful bass - that seems to be the part that Neruda likes least about them. To me, it's natural, for him, it's exaggerated.

Oct 20, 2001 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat
I prefer the 770 Pros because the 250 (80 Ohms) have a slightly nasal quality , their mids aren't exactly smooth. And the 770s have a far larger, deeper, more precise and natural soundstage. And they have more extended and impactful bass - that seems to be the part that Neruda likes least about them. To me, it's natural, for him, it's exaggerated.

I suspect at least some of the differences we're hearing are due to the different amps we're using. I don't hear any trace of nasality in the 250s and find the mids and highs very smooth on them. It's gotta be the amps and respective synergy or lack thereof with the headphones.

Oct 20, 2001 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 26
yeah, that would be understandable. I certainly didn't detect a nasal quality to the mids, in fact I think the DT250 is one of the more neutral headphones i've heard.

Oct 21, 2001 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 26
Neruda,
the music I listen mostly to is classical, orchestral. But jazz, hip-hop, rock, blues are part of my diet as well. I have to admit: there is hardly ever too much bass from the 770s in acoustical music. This is different at times with music that is primarily meant to sound good on MTV. If an engineer wants to make it sound good on average equipment, he might be tempted to mix and master his stuff with too much upper bass, I guess. But I'd say the very fact, that the 770s convey too much bass on certain recordings says something about their accuracy. If a headphone presents each and every recording with subjectively either enough or too little bass energy, it's not likely to be neutral in itself.

kwkarth,
I have an Earmax Pro amp. Glas. I know, you're more the sand type. But I don't feel this is the reason for our diferences in perception. I like the DT 250-80 a lot. It's a great headphone, I prefer it to each AKG and Senn I have ever listened to (don't know the K 1000 or the Orpheus, though). I feel the 250's midrange coloration is very slight and it doesn't bother me too much. I think it's relatively warm tonal balance (which is similar to that of the 770s) is very much convincing, and it has great sensitivity. But I perceive greater transparency with the 770s, not only in terms of soundstage (not a big surprise given the fact how close the 250's drivers are to one's ears), but in terms of harmonic structure as well. To me, there is greater musical transparency with the 770s. Orchestral sections are playing together, there is greater homogenousness and coherence. I think this might be more an effect of timing than of frequency response. If a transducer has problems in this regard, pipe organ concerts, for example, can get insufferable. I feel with the 770s, I am always free to follow different voices. It's musically transparent. But it is this very transparency, that makes it emotionally involving, to me.

kwkarth,
do you know the newer 250 Ohm version of the 770s or the 990s? I don't know the old 600 Ohm 770 Pros, but the old 990 Pros I have listened too were indeed "thick", just as Neruda or Headroom say. The new 250 Ohm drivers have been a big improvement for the 990s in terms of transparency and dynamics, and I think the same goes for the 770s. And there is a 250 Ohm version of the DT 250s as well, probably with similar improved drivers.

To sum it up: I think the DT 250-80s are very good, but the 250 Ohm 770 Pros are even better.

Oct 21, 2001 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 26
Tomcat,
I don't own either the 770 or the 990. I was never debating the sound of either. You may very well be right about the 770 sounding better than the 250. I can't speak to that since I've never heard the 770 or the 990.

As far as glass vs sand... Glass is sand
smily_headphones1.gif
Never mind, I couldn't resist…
I don't think it makes sense to debate that issue, I've heard great examples of both technologies.

I was speaking of the potential synergy of a given amp to a given can, regardless of the technology employed. With the OBH-11SE that I have, the 250 I have sounds quite nice and I don't recall being struck by any noticeable coloration.

I agree with your characterization of overall warmth, and because I do not doubt what you're hearing on your 250s, I was only surmising that the midrange coloration you're hearing may be due to some unhappy anti-synergy between the cans and the amp. It is entirely possible for an amp to sound absolutely great with one can and not another. Just a thought....

Cheerz
cool.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 9:02 AM Post #10 of 26
Neruda,
I know that you are talking about the 250 Ohm version of the 770s. But your initial comments about them seemed to be somewhat less critical. Didn' you even say that you preferred the 770s to the Senns HD 600? Obviously you liked the DT 250-80 better, when you heard them.
smily_headphones1.gif

kwkarth,LOL,
Glas is sand. That's a good one. Chemically, you are right, of course, but on the other hand: this statement sounds strangely Orwellian to me.
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 11:28 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda
tomcat, what sort of music do you listen to, on average?

How about you Nerdua? What do you listen to?

And damnit! Are Tomcat and Nerdua the only ones who have heard these or what?

Oct 21, 2001 at 3:38 PM Post #12 of 26
quote: "And damnit! Are Tomcat and Nerdua the only ones who have heard these or what?"

I own the 990's (basiclly it's a open version of the 770). Had them for about week. Thinking of posting a proper review in couple of weeks.

I guess if you compare them to a lets say a HD600 they sound "thick". But that's only relative. I think most other hifi headphones (Senn, Grado, AKG) sounds bright compared to the 990.

I don't think the Beyers would win many votes in a short A/B test with a HD600. These phones ain't about producing sonic fireworks. If you ever get a chance to listen to these phones forget about all this audiophile mumbojumbo, put on one of your favorite albums and close your eyes. I'll bet you be tapping your feet and singing along in no time.

While I'm on the subject I think A/B testing is poor way of judging products. I don't listen the same when I'm supposed to decide if the midbass is a bit sloppy as when I'm just enjoying the music.

And no the Beyer 990 isn't the holy grail of headphones. It's just that their tonalbalance is very rare in higher priced audiogear. I would call it neutrality but I know that many people in these forums won't agree with me on that. But hey that's just like my opionion man...

Oct 21, 2001 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

But hey that's just like my opionion man...

biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 5:02 PM Post #14 of 26
I listen to mainly rock: pink floyd, steely dan, dire straits, stuff like that. I also listen to a little bit of electronica and a lot of percussion, among many other things. I don't listen to classical (save for "Us and them," a Pink Floyd compilation done by the London Symphony Orchestra
biggrin.gif
). I was thinking that we might have differing views on these headphones because we listen to different types of music with different requirements, but maybe that isn't the case.

And yeah, maybe I wasn't so critical about them when i got back from the headroom meet. I think the problem is that all the faults I remember became amplified. I did like them more than the HD600's; but the thing about that is that I really dislike the HD600's
smily_headphones1.gif
. Not my cup o' tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back