Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Keep HD660S2 and sell DT1990

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 8, 2023 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Guinibee

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have reached an odd situation. I recently acquired the HD660S2 and I really like them! Was looking to replace the DT1990 as my daily drivers. I love my DT1990, but the treble can be hurtful sometimes, even with my dekoni elite velour pads which tame it a bit. I figured I'd try the S2 cause I heard it retains the less offensive sound sennheiser is known for, adds bass and clarity compared to the rest of the 6 series, and is lighter than my DT1990.

But after trying these S2s for a couple weeks I'm unsure if it's worth the cost. I like them very marginally more than the DT1990, and the cost of the S2 is way too high IMO. I got them for $500 and I'd probably only get around $350 selling the DT1990. Unsure if that trade works in my favor...

For context I mostly listen to EDM, lo fi, and hip hop. I play a lot of games, fps included, but I'm not that competitive. I also did try the Audeze Maxwell recently; I liked the sound, but not a big fan of closed headphones and it got my ears too warm.

Jun 8, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 7
If it were me, I would return the S2 and start looking into other headphones. Not that it's not great, just sounds like you don't love it.

Jun 8, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 7
If it were me, I would return the S2 and start looking into other headphones. Not that it's not great, just sounds like you don't love it.
Well as you know, my favorites are the ZMF cans on the Quicksilver 😉. But that's a lot of heft and when I need something "simple" I have been doing JDS Element 3 and DT1990. Nice combo, but the treble can sometimes be fatiguing. The S2 sounds awesome and is very comfy, but I'm wondering if it's worth the price?... I don't think it is.

Probably gonna return and grab it again if it goes on a better sale... Like $450 or less.

Jun 8, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 7
Oh I know about the QS...

And I bet the 660s2 will be sub $350 used in a year.

Jun 8, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 7
I had a pair of HD650s years ago, lost them in a move, and bought the HD660S2 in hopes for a like minded headphone. My two takeaways:

1) The 660S2 is very uncomfortable. I don’t recall my 650s being anywhere near so tight on my head. I’ve read elsewhere that the 660S2 is a tight fitting headphone; how do they feel on your head; between the 660S2 and 1990, which is more comfortable?

2) The sound signature is very dull on the 660S2, compared to my old 650s. With the genres you listen to, are the 660S2 a favorable pairing? I wouldn’t imagine the bright sound of the 1990 is “necessary” for the genres you listed.

Just my $.02.

Jun 8, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 7
I had a pair of HD650s years ago, lost them in a move, and bought the HD660S2 in hopes for a like minded headphone. My two takeaways:

1) The 660S2 is very uncomfortable. I don’t recall my 650s being anywhere near so tight on my head. I’ve read elsewhere that the 660S2 is a tight fitting headphone; how do they feel on your head; between the 660S2 and 1990, which is more comfortable?

2) The sound signature is very dull on the 660S2, compared to my old 650s. With the genres you listen to, are the 660S2 a favorable pairing? I wouldn’t imagine the bright sound of the 1990 is “necessary” for the genres you listed.

Just my $.02.
Thanks for the response! The fitting is about equal to any other 6x0 series IMO. If you bend the band a bit it loosens up. Also the more you wear them it loosens. That being said, the DT1990 with dekoni elite velour pads is very cozy so probably takes a slight edge, though S2 is lighter.

I thought the S2 sounded quite good for my genres. It had more excitement then I remember my 6xx had. I think think the DT1990 is overall more exciting, but that treble can really bite at you sometimes. I might just try EQing just that peak down slightly to see how it goes.

Jun 24, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 7
Hello all,

I have reached an odd situation. I recently acquired the HD660S2 and I really like them! Was looking to replace the DT1990 as my daily drivers. I love my DT1990, but the treble can be hurtful sometimes, even with my dekoni elite velour pads which tame it a bit. I figured I'd try the S2 cause I heard it retains the less offensive sound sennheiser is known for, adds bass and clarity compared to the rest of the 6 series, and is lighter than my DT1990.

But after trying these S2s for a couple weeks I'm unsure if it's worth the cost. I like them very marginally more than the DT1990, and the cost of the S2 is way too high IMO. I got them for $500 and I'd probably only get around $350 selling the DT1990. Unsure if that trade works in my favor...

For context I mostly listen to EDM, lo fi, and hip hop. I play a lot of games, fps included, but I'm not that competitive. I also did try the Audeze Maxwell recently; I liked the sound, but not a big fan of closed headphones and it got my ears too warm.
You might save your money and return the S2. Then acquire a Thieaudio Ghost for $129. I'm not kidding. These damn things are awesome and smooth. Their form factor is almost exactly like the Sennies. I like these better than the 6XX or the 58X by quite a margin. They're smooth and not as fatiguing as the DT1990 perhaps. They're new and not known much yet. Check out the reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back