DT1770 versus TH-900 - which is quieter for those around you?
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kombucha

New Head-Fier
I'm currently looking to buy one of these two - I'm aware that the TH-900 is objectively better in every way, but was curious as to which one had less sound leakage in an office environment. Currently using Sony XB-1000s and my office mate can hear them.

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm currently looking to buy one of these two - I'm aware that the TH-900 is objectively better in every way, but was curious as to which one had less sound leakage in an office environment. Currently using Sony XB-1000s and my office mate can hear them.
I'm not sure the TH-900 is "objectively" better in every way. It's more expensive, sure, but it also has an over-the-top paint job that does nothing for the sound.

That being said, the DT 1770 has pretty much no leakage whatsoever. I can't speak for the TH-900.

Apr 25, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 4
Depends on what is important to you. Is it the bass(you like quantity)? It seems people enjoy it for the bass. I have the TH-X00 Ebony and I do enjoy the bass, but wouldn't say it's neutral, but not excessive either. Sounds balanced across the spectrum with more mids than others in the line.

I've read that TH-900 is a V-shaped response and treble can be a bit much for some. There are people that like the headphone, and perhaps it's the bass that's particularly great about it?

With the X00, I enjoy woofer bass sounding tracks as it's dynamic drivers responds in that manner. I didn't think bass would be an area I'd enjoy so much of until I tried the TH-X00 Ebony.

Also, I'm not much of a basshead and Cascades is a bit much than I can handle for bass. X00 Ebony is at a level I can enjoy.

My office mate told me doesn't hear the semi-open Fostex.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 4
I'm not sure the TH-900 is "objectively" better in every way. It's more expensive, sure, but it also has an over-the-top paint job that does nothing for the sound.

That being said, the DT 1770 has pretty much no leakage whatsoever. I can't speak for the TH-900.

Fair enough, typically when I've gone down the rabbit hole for closed end cans, the TH-900 ends up at the top, with the only reported downside being the price. I'm sure there are people who prefer DT1770s to the TH-900s. I hope to own both one day and the DT1770s would actually meet my needs a bit better, as I don't really want to leave headphones at work that are so expensive.

No leakage is a great point for the DT1770s - thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back