• HD 560s (£140)

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Don't know/Results

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Mar 3, 2021 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Laurus

New Head-Fier
Hi, this is my first post here and I'm in the market for a new set of headphones.

I don't have a dedicated dac/amp currently so I'll be running these directly from my motherboard (apparently it can drive headphones up to 600 ohms but who knows)

They will be used primarily for gaming and listening to music.

I can get the 990s for £108 ($150), 880s for £138 ($192) and 560s for £140 ($195). Which would you say is the better purchase and what would get me the most value for money?

Thank you in advance for any input, it's much appreciated!

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #2 of 14
I had the HD560S and I don't like it. Soundstage sounded crammed despites it's an open-back headphone.

Are you sensitive to treble? The DT990 is a treble monster according to owners but I can't say anythung about it because I never tried it.
I do have the DT880 250ohm and I like it. I use it for gaming, music and movies and as dac/amp I have the Fiio K5 Pro.

Mar 3, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 14
I had the HD560S and I don't like it. Soundstage sounded crammed despites it's an open-back headphone.

Are you sensitive to treble? The DT990 is a treble monster according to owners but I can't say anythung about it because I never tried it.
I do have the DT880 250ohm and I like it. I use it for gaming, music and movies and as dac/amp I have the Fiio K5 Pro.
Well to be honest the only real pair of headphones I've had before these is a pair of M40X's so I'm not sure how sensitive I am to treble really. I've heard good things about all three headphones but I don't have an amp at the moment so I'm not really sure how much that should factor in my decision. Thanks for your input!

Mar 3, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 14
What about Beyerdynamic Tygr 300R? This one is a damn fine headphone too!

I'm not sure either about your motherboard's amp. You'll only know for sure when the parcel arrives at your door.

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 14
What about Beyerdynamic Tygr 300R? This one is a damn fine headphone too!

I'm not sure either about your motherboard's amp. You'll only know for sure when the parcel arrives at your door.
I'm in the UK and it doesn't look like they're readily availabe without the Mic, and that means the price is around £300, or twice as much as the 560s and 880 editions so that's kind of put me off lol. I've basically narrowed it down to these three, but making the final decision is harder than I anticipated, trying to gather some outside opinions to help.

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 14
Really? Doesn't Beyerdynamic sells the Tygr standalone without the mic?

-edit-
Beyerdynamic sells the Tygr 300R standalone for €140. Currently the standalone version is sold out and only the Team Tygr is available, maybe you meant that?
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/tygr-300-r.html
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/team-tygr.html

If you can, wait for the Tygr 300R to be back on stock. Or you can in meanwhile gather more infos on the DT880 and 990. Forget about the HD560S.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 14
Really? Doesn't Beyerdynamic sells the Tygr standalone without the mic?

-edit-
Beyerdynamic sells the Tygr 300R standalone for €140. Currently the standalone version is sold out and only the Team Tygr is available, maybe you meant that?
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/tygr-300-r.html
https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/team-tygr.html

If you can, wait for the Tygr 300R to be back on stock. Or you can in meanwhile gather more infos on the DT880 and 990. Forget about the HD560S.
Thanks for your input!

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #10 of 14
There are also other good options - easy to drive - that can be found under € 200

AKG K371
Meze 99 Classics
Philips Fidelio X2HR
Sennheiser HD 58X
Unfortunately being in the UK Drop headphones aren't exactly within my budget and the classics are almost twice as dear as the 560s where I am. Out of all the headphones mentioned though, which would you say is the best value for money? Thanks.

Mar 4, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 14
Hi, this is my first post here and I'm in the market for a new set of headphones.
I don't have a dedicated dac/amp currently so I'll be running these directly from my motherboard (apparently it can drive headphones up to 600 ohms but who knows). They will be used primarily for gaming and listening to music.
I can get the 990s for £108 ($150), 880s for £138 ($192) and 560s for £140 ($195). Which would you say is the better purchase and what would get me the most value for money? Thank you in advance for any input, it's much appreciated!
Soundmagic HP200 headphones, I like them better then the DT880 and DT990.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #12 of 14
Unfortunately being in the UK Drop headphones aren't exactly within my budget and the classics are almost twice as dear as the 560s where I am. Out of all the headphones mentioned though, which would you say is the best value for money? Thanks.
You can also watch used, often there are excellent bargains.

I perhaps as a new headphone under € 200 - based on what I have read - I would take Philips Fidelio X2HR. Very easy to drive, fun signature and very wide soundstage, everyone seems to like it.

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #13 of 14
You can also watch used, often there are excellent bargains.

I perhaps as a new headphone under € 200 - based on what I have read - I would take Philips Fidelio X2HR. Very easy to drive, fun signature and very wide soundstage, everyone seems to like it.
I was looking at buying new purely for the warranty. I've actually had a pair of 250 ohm headphones before so driving the DTs shouldn't be an issue, hopefully. Out of curiosity which of the three original options would you take? Thanks for your help by the way!

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #14 of 14
I have never listened to any of the three, but based on reviews and opinions I have read the DT880 should have the most neutral signature, therefore more suitable for me, if I were to have only one headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back