DT 990 pros (250 Ohms) + Soundblaster G3 vs HD 560s?

DT 990 pros (250 Ohms) + Soundblaster G3 vs HD 560s?

• Total voters
Mar 9, 2021 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Laurus

New Head-Fier
Currently stuck deciding between these two.

I hear the DT990 pros EQ very well and are the more "fun" to listen to. I'd be using these purely for casual listening and gaming, and from what I've been reading online the 560s could be "boring", for lack of a better word. I want to enjoy what I'm listening to.

The things that are putting me off the 990s:
- Fixed cable
- Large treble spike

Things that are putting me off the 560s:
- Could possibly be "boring"
- Looks like a much cheaper build quality
- More expensive by about £30

Something else pushing me towards the 990s is I can get a cheap dac/amp like the Soundblaster G3 as well as it for the same price I'd have to pay for the 560s alone (£140). Just wondering if you were in my situation, (I have a budget of £150) and you had to choose between the DT 990 pros + Soundblaster G3, or HD 560s, which would you choose? Thanks for the input!

Mar 13, 2021 at 6:26 AM Post #2 of 4
Hd560s measures flat. Meaning that music is reproduced just like the recording artist intended it to sound. If that's boring to you I suggest you start looking for more exiting music to listen to.

Mar 13, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 4
Hd560s measures flat. Meaning that music is reproduced just like the recording artist intended it to sound. If that's boring to you I suggest you start looking for more exiting music to listen to.

If it measures flat when it is not intended so by the recording artists, then it is boring. A lot of times I think this is associated with the lack of dynamism or rolled-off lows (mostly) or highs.
Anyway, I'd suggest you @Laurus to assure as much as your budget lets you a good source, and then try it with some amazing cheap stuff like the Sony's MDR-ZX110. You'll then be able to enjoy more a lot of surprisingly good but cheap stuff, and will listen to the expensive gear knowing that they sound at least near to what they are supposed to sound.

Mar 13, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #4 of 4
If it measures flat when it is not intended so by the recording artists, then it is boring. A lot of times I think this is associated with the lack of dynamism or rolled-off lows (mostly) or highs.
Anyway, I'd suggest you @Laurus to assure as much as your budget lets you a good source, and then try it with some amazing cheap stuff like the Sony's MDR-ZX110. You'll then be able to enjoy more a lot of surprisingly good but cheap stuff, and will listen to the expensive gear knowing that they sound at least near to what they are supposed to sound.
Thank you both for your replies. I tried them both and ended up going with the 990s. They seemed far more fun to listen to casually and the build quality is top notch. Also they have to be the comfiest headphones I've ever worn.
Only thing that put me off them was the cable but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back