DT 990 pro impression - Amp/DAC/Soundcard help (Novice)
Jan 29, 2019 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

PVam

New Head-Fier
Hello, novice here!
I recently got myself a Beyerdynamics dt990 pro (250 ohm) and was wondering whether i was powering them properly. I'm mainly using them at home on the desktop.
  • I'm not using an amp currently, but the sound i get is more than loud enough in music players, and is acceptable in youtube/videos although sometimes i need to max the volume.
  • But I am currently using a (don't laugh) Speedlink Vigo. It's one of those small external USB soundcards, as my mainboard doesn't have onboard sound.
When i got the beyers i thought my soundcard would never suffice but surprisingly they are loud enough. As for the sound quality... these are my first cans above the low budget range so i have no comparison. But i am somewhat disappointed with their lows. I previously used a set of sony mdr zx310s, which are obviously much MUCH muddier, but i kinda liked the balance of highs and lows more if that makes any sense.
The 990s not only sound higher, but some songs and scenes changed to the point where they are unrecognizable to me. Generally it feels like the "body" is missing a lot of the time. And the sound also doesn't always seem very clean, though that might have more to do with lousy files and whatnot, because sometimes it sounds pretty good. Over all though they still sound much better.
There is that infamous sibilance but still, these highs are also pretty addicting to listen to. When trying to EQ i wanted more bass/body and less sibilance, but after doing so i started missing the clear highs too. I don't seem to know what i want. :joy:

To get to the point: Why is it that my cheap usb soundcard can drive the dt 990 pros? Do i just not like the sound of these cans or are they not properly driven, and how do i even tell the difference?
I did hear that these cans are supposed to sound good/decent even just plugged to the PC audio, so i'm not sure.
If anyone has any experience listening to these with and without amping please do tell.

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 13
With that out of the way:
I'm also all kinds of confused when it comes to what amp i need if i was to get one (will it really help?). My budget is very low so i was looking at these:
I was also wondering whether i need a dac in the first place as the improvements are apparently not that much and i don't have enough noise that i mind either. So maybe a standalone amp or various tube amps would work too.
My big uncertainty here is whether the setup can drive the 990s properly without having the amp die after a month, as i've also read various accounts on some of these.

I mainly got the 990s because i needed an open back headphone. If there are any good alternatives i'd be open to those as well.
initially i was deciding between the 990s and the superlux hd 681. After going for the midrange option, it feels like i opened a giant can of audiophile worms :).

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 13
The Sound Blaster Z sound card makes a decent DAC/amp, buy used off eBay.

Jan 30, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #5 of 13
Fiio K3 is better than E10K. And my DT880 600ohm version sounded great out of it, but yeah, I suppose they need more power, but 250ohm version should be fine. Nice neutral sound.
I have mine for sale also (used for max 15h, like brand new). I got another headphone + dac/amp, so it is sitting in box, waiting for a new owner.

Jan 30, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for the reply!
But can you elaborate as to why you chose that one in particular? From creative i also saw the soundblaster audigy Fx, which should also work (in theory...). But why not one of the other ones i listed?
A used SB-Z card will sometimes sell for as little as $50.
The SB-Z card comes with a better DAC chip and DSP processor, then the Audigy FX, but if you would rather get the Audigy FX, that's fine.
The Sound cards come with headphone surround sound, the external DAC/amps do not.

Jan 30, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #7 of 13
A used SB-Z card will sometimes sell for as little as $50.
The SB-Z card comes with a better DAC chip and DSP processor, then the Audigy FX, but if you would rather get the Audigy FX, that's fine.
The Sound cards come with headphone surround sound, the external DAC/amps do not.

Surround isn't that important i think. My priority right now is to drive the 990s properly, assuming they aren't already.
It's all really confusing to me because my puny vigo is already "driving" these cans, at least in terms of volume. Does it maybe have something to do with my PC power supply? It's a little hard to imagine that some of the other options listed wouldn't be able to when compared to this tiny thing. So i'm wondering what exactly i'm getting with my money.

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 13
Surround isn't that important i think. My priority right now is to drive the 990s properly, assuming they aren't already.
It's all really confusing to me because my puny vigo is already "driving" these cans, at least in terms of volume. Does it maybe have something to do with my PC power supply? It's a little hard to imagine that some of the other options listed wouldn't be able to when compared to this tiny thing. So i'm wondering what exactly i'm getting with my money.
We are not there to be able to listen to your headphones, plugged into your sources, so it's not easy for anyone to say for sure if the DT990 are being driven to their best.
I doubt any of the regulars on Head-Fi would ever use a $15 DAC/amp (Speedlink Vigo) to drive the DT990, so we has zero experience using that $15 DAC/amp.
I'm sure that $15 DAC/amp comes with a very low cost DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) chip.
Any of the options we has talked about would have a better DAC function.
I would think it would be worthwhile to spend $100 for a DAC/amp to use with the DT990, or any headphones you might buy in the future.

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #9 of 13
We are not there to be able to listen to your headphones, plugged into your sources, so it's not easy for anyone to say for sure if the DT990 are being driven to their best.
I doubt any of the regulars on Head-Fi would ever use a $15 DAC/amp (Speedlink Vigo) to drive the DT990, so we has zero experience using that $15 DAC/amp.
I'm sure that $15 DAC/amp comes with a very low cost DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) chip.
Any of the options we has talked about would have a better DAC function.
I would think it would be worthwhile to spend $100 for a DAC/amp to use with the DT990, or any headphones you might buy in the future.

I am willing to spend 50-100€ for a dac-amp if it makes a difference. But i'm having difficulties choosing one as i can't tell what is important or not.
Would a Fiio E10k or K3 be good enough? Or is the soundblaster a better option? What specs do i need to look for in order to compare these? I think that's my main problem..

Jan 30, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #11 of 13
I am willing to spend 50-100€ for a DAC-amp if it makes a difference. But I'm having difficulties choosing one as I can't tell what is important or not.
Would a FiiO E10K or K3 be good enough? Or is the Sound Blaster a better option? What specs do I need to look for in order to compare these? I think that's my main problem..
If you have no need for the headphone surround sound feature that a sound card provides, then might as well go for a external DAC/amp.
Any DAC/amp costing $70 or more should not have a problem driving 250-Ohm Beyer headphones.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 13
Welp, my 15€ dongle can "drive" them too. None of this makes any sense to me lol. Went with the Sabaj for now.
Thanks for the help man. Keeping my fingers crossed.
It's the DAC chip that can make a difference (somewhat), your $15 USB thing comes with a very cheap and low cost DAC function, so audio quality might suffer compare to a DAC/amp with a better DAC chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back