DT 990 Pro broken, will probably get my money back, alternatives?
Jul 6, 2014 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

SSSN

100+ Head-Fier
I will use the cans with a Fiio E10 on my PC. I listen mainly to Metal, Rock and instrumental soundtracks (video games, movies, Anime). My budget is about the same as I paid for the DT 990s: $200 (or 145€) give or take.

As far as sound goes, I was content with the DT 990s, although the treble definitely was harsh at times and the bass slightly rumbly instead of punchy. So if there's a DT 990 with SLIGHTLY less bass and treble energy, it'd be perfect. However, consider I live in Germany and it's very important to me, that replacement parts or at least earpads are readily available.

I already tried the ATH M50s, their tonal balance was nice, but they really sounded congested and "in your head". Soundstage = zero.
Another pair of cans I had were the Creative Aurvana Live, really good, but a tad too dark and muddy in the low end.
The Superlux 681s are still in my posesseion (using them as backup right now) and they're a bit hollow.

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 12

As far as sound goes, I was content with the DT 990s, although the treble definitely was harsh at times and the bass slightly rumbly instead of punchy. So if there's a DT 990 with SLIGHTLY less bass and treble energy, it'd be perfect. However, consider I live in Germany and it's very important to me, that replacement parts or at least earpads are readily available.

Sounds like the DT880 is right up your alley if you can find it for the right price.  Look for the 250ohm Pro version. Although not amazing, the E10's are alright with the 250ohm.

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 12
  I will use the cans with a Fiio E10 on my PC. I listen mainly to Metal, Rock and instrumental soundtracks (video games, movies, Anime). My budget is about the same as I paid for the DT 990s: $200 (or 145€) give or take.

I already tried the ATH M50s, their tonal balance was nice, but they really sounded congested and "in your head". Soundstage = zero.
Another pair of cans I had were the Creative Aurvana Live, really good, but a tad too dark and muddy in the low end.
The Superlux 681s are still in my posesseion (using them as backup right now) and they're a bit hollow.

The A900x seems like a good headphone in that price range, you'd have to read more about it go get an idea of it's sound though. MA900 did the trick for me with video games, movies and anime, though they're going for around 220$ now, which is unfortunate. (though I am selling mine right now, for 150$). There's a few other good contendors in this price range, I'll try to think of some other options for you. *edit the K612 is also pretty decent looking* *edit2 the AD900(x) also seems good, it has a similar emphasis to the DT990 but to a lesser extent, and a much flatter response elsewhere. I used goldenears to compare*

Jul 6, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 12
  The A900x seems like a good headphone in that price range, you'd have to read more about it go get an idea of it's sound though. MA900 did the trick for me with video games, movies and anime, though they're going for around 220$ now, which is unfortunate. (though I am selling mine right now, for 150$). There's a few other good contenders in this price range, I'll try to think of some other options for you. *edit the K612 is also pretty decent looking*

I like to recommend the ATH-A900Xs also, but as the OP is in Europe and the A900X's sell in Europe for around 350 Euros ($470 USD), it might not fit into his budget.
Maybe if the OP bought them straight from Japan, the price would be better, depending on the OPs country's import tax.
The AKG K612 Pros are really low priced in Europe, 133 Euros.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_612_pro.htm

Jul 7, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 12
Oh, forgot to mention I already tried DT 880s and I really didn't enjoy them. Way too dry in the low end, they even sounded kinda tinny to me.

I am considering right now:

DT 990 Pro again
DT 770 (80 or 250 Ohm)
Shure SRH 840
AKG K240 MK II
Custom One Pro

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 12
612pro has fantastic bass extension. exceptional bass texture. not boomy as X1.  but some might find it too leaner, dry without EQing. but it was an easy fix for me using E17 with bass setting 4.  it simply outclassed X1.

you can try E10's bass boost.

P.S: or you can get q701 and do the bass mod

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 12
Oh, forgot to mention I already tried DT 880s and I really didn't enjoy them. Way too dry in the low end, they even sounded kinda tinny to me.

I am considering right now:

DT 990 Pro again

DT 770 (80 or 250 Ohm)
Shure SRH 840
AKG K240 MK II
Custom One Pro
If you like the 990s, just get them again and EQ them slightly. Neither of the 770s are going to be what you're after. I found both 770s, Prem and Pro, to have lower quality and quantity of bass than the 880s. Maybe the COP but what I've heard is a mixed bag and mostly related to recessed mids when compared to the 770s (Which already has recessed mids to some).

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 12

See what the Phillips X1 would run you: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-bottom-and-lively-top-philips-fidelio-x1

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #11 of 12
I still think the K612 is the best way to go. It'll have a nicely sized soundstage and a lot of definition throughout the whole spectrum without being muddy or harsh. Especially if it's affordable where you're at, it's a very solid option. The DT770 is a mess of a headphone, I bought an M-Audio Q40 over it in the past if that says anything about it's soundquality. Shure 840 is a nice option, but it's closed and I'm not confident it's soundstage is comparable to the K612's for gaming, anime, instrumental, etc. 

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #12 of 12
I still think the K612 is the best way to go. It'll have a nicely sized soundstage and a lot of definition throughout the whole spectrum without being muddy or harsh. Especially if it's affordable where you're at, it's a very solid option. The DT770 is a mess of a headphone, I bought an M-Audio Q40 over it in the past if that says anything about it's soundquality. Shure 840 is a nice option, but it's closed and I'm not confident it's soundstage is comparable to the K612's for gaming, anime, instrumental, etc. 

+1

K612 will have a great soundstage and should conquer the problem with the highs that you are having. Although not certain you would like the low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back