DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm Questions
Jul 30, 2013 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Helltech

New Head-Fier
I made a thread about these before but wasn't getting much response. As of right now I'm not super happy with them for a few reasons but I'm sure they are all fixable.

I'm comparing them to a cheap 35 dollar headset, Creative Fatal1ty.

So I'm not getting much of a sound quality difference between the two. Maybe my brain just isn't in tune yet, but even after a week of use it seems like going back and forth between the two the only difference I notice is that the bass on the DT990s is much more clear.

The DT990s are also super tight on my temple, it gives me a headache after about 4-5 hours of use, when I could use my Creative ones for 12 or so hours at a time. I know I probably shouldn't use them that long anyway, but the point still stands. Is there a way to make them less tight without making them TOO loose?

I don't yet have an amp for the DT990s, I'm sure that is a big reason they don't sound as good, I just figured spending this much on headphones would yield much greater results > the 35 dollar set I had previously. What amp should I get? After a lot of research it seems like I should get a tube amp, and I really don't want to spend a lot of money. Everywhere I look even Bravo Audio V2s are going for like 75 dollars. :frowning2: 

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 10
couple of things...250 ohm, yea you need an amp, don't worry if it's solid state or tube. try out an O2 amp to get you started.
secondly, it might be that the DT990 are not your preferred sound signature and that's why you're not liking it.
with regards to the clamping force, i find that a little strange since the DT should be one of the most comfortable headphone to wear.
The most comfortable I've worn is the Sony MA900 which incidently is only 22 ohm so no amp needed there.

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
couple of things...250 ohm, yea you need an amp, don't worry if it's solid state or tube. try out an O2 amp to get you started.
secondly, it might be that the DT990 are not your preferred sound signature and that's why you're not liking it.
with regards to the clamping force, i find that a little strange since the DT should be one of the most comfortable headphone to wear.
The most comfortable I've worn is the Sony MA900 which incidently is only 22 ohm so no amp needed there.

Seems like everything I'm reading tube amps really fix the problem with the 990s which is their horrible treble though. 

I like the sound, a lot. It just they don't seem that improved over the others.

They are very comfortable, just SUPER tight, after a few hours it becomes exhausting. I started to bend them outwords slightly but I didn't want to risk ruining them somehow. 

Isn't the O2 like 130 dollars? I'd rather just spend 70 on a Bravo Audio V2 than spend that much. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 10
Seems you already got your answer. go for it. It's $70 for which you get your amp and also test out if it really will make a noticeable difference to your treble issues

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #6 of 10
Well, a dt 990 250 ohm is the wrong headphone for you if you don't have an amp.

Just get a $30 Xonar DG as a temporary solution.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 10
It has an amp

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
Why? Does it have an amp? I already have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 

Some of those tube amps will sell for $50-$60.

The PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2) solid state amp will sell on eBay for around $60-$65.

Where are you located?

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 10
While searching for the dt 990 pro, i've seen 2 designs, i'm awar that there are premium, pro, black edition models, but i saw different designs on 2 pro models, one has "beyerdynamic" written on the sides, while the other one, the most common, has "DT 990 PRO" written. I just want to know what's up with that. Is there a difference? Hope someone could help. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back