DT 990 PRO '03
Apr 19, 2007 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jmmtn4aj

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got them from tuhnu in Finland, and the first descriptives that came to mind when I put it on was 'Jesus Christ!'

The bass is insane!
basshead.gif
I can only imagine that the 770s would probably cause my head to vibrate visibly if I looked at myself in the mirror. Is this normal?! With the MS1s I expected ear piercing highs because everyone described Grados as bright, and Alessandros as 'slightly tamer', but holy hell I'd have to say that everything I've read about the Beyerdynamic bass doesn't quite do this justice.

The thought that the phones were modified somehow (drivers, foam backings, etc) flashed through my mind, but of course I have a bit more trust than that and if tuhnu says it's only been recabled, then I believe him. The question is, is it supposed to be such a enormous change going from the ATH-A700? The bass is near constant on some songs that I never knew even had much bass! The cable is a Mogami, if this isn't the sound of the stock 990, could the cable have done it?

Or maybe I'm really kidding myself and I should never touch another Beyer again
frown.gif

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 6
DT990 should be open and overall improved "version" of DT770, so im not really surprised you find the bass strong.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT990 should be open and overall improved "version" of DT770, so im not really surprised you find the bass strong.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nah, the DT990 is an improved, less open DT880 Studio.

You heard me right. The current 880 is semi-open, but the 880 Studio has nothing but a grille about like you see on a 90's DT990 (Except aluminum rather than plastic - and the earcup is shallower) and a circle of nonwoven fabric slightly less substantial than one ply from a two-ply kleenex.

The 990 has a big donut of thick white felt in it. At least the 90's version does.

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 6
That sounds about right for the bass part
smily_headphones1.gif
. I used to have the DT990 pro and A900, and there is no competition that the Beyer's bass are better!

Maybe the new cable did more to improve the mids and tame the highs?

I read a lot about people saying that DT990's bass is not as strong as the DT770s, but DT990's bass has a more 'rounded' quality to it and are more airy. Many people seemed to prefer the DT990's bass.

Somebody should revive the DT990 pro appreciation thread
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 6
While searching for the dt 990 pro, i've seen 2 designs, i'm awar that there are premium, pro, black edition models, but i saw different designs on 2 pro models, one has "beyerdynamic" written on the sides, while the other one, the most common, has "DT 990 PRO" written. I just want to know what's up with that. Is there a difference? Hope someone could help. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back