DT 990 owners: Have you ever tried this...
Oct 18, 2005 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dag655321

100+ Head-Fier
Ok the story goes like this (don't worry, it's short). Yesterday (thanks to Salt Peanuts) I acquired a used pair of DT 990/Pros. When I got back to my desk and plugged them in I was very underwhelmed. There was way too much sloppy bass and no midrage to speak of. I had never heard these cans before and only briefly owned the DT770/Pro in the past. I do not balme Salt Peanuts for this at all. The transaction was a pleasure and I would definetly buy or sell with him again. The stock DT 990 just don't suit my musical taste. Oh well you live and learn...but

During next few minutes of listening, I realized that the sound could be improved significantly by placing my hands over the back of the earcups (essentially covering or closing them). I then began to experiment with tape to do the sealing for me. What I discovered was that with just two pieces of ordinary Scotch tape on each earcup, I could drastically change the sound.

Now I am very happy with my DT 990s. The bass has totally tighened up, and the midrange came alive. I will continue to experiment with the size, shape and location of the tape pieces, but overall I am feeling much better about my purchase. If you own a pair of DT 990s or know someone who does, I strongly sugest trying this simple and easliy reversible mod. It is fun, cheap and risk free. Give it a try and tell me what you think.

This is a picture showing exactly where I put the tape. Be sure to put in in the same place, covering the area closest to he big stripe down the middle. Leaving any gaps will negate or significantly reduce the effectiveness.
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=10/29012473546.jpg&s=x10

Oct 18, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 4
Interesting.. I have experimented with numerous open cans like this before. Never got "favorable" results. 3lusiv3 now has my 990's which were very well broken in. I haven't found sound like' em..
frown.gif

You know what, come to think of it the pads were a little flat which brought the driver closer to the ear I think increasing midrange and punch... Hmmnn Maybe a half sized pad would be cool to try. Right now I'm pushing in on the 770's and I can almost get that sound.
rolleyes.gif

yeay

Oct 18, 2005 at 5:59 PM Post #3 of 4
Interesting Mod/Idea. I would assume that this would work for most (or all) open headphones.

I for one have really warmed up to my DT 990s. It took a little while to break them in and get used to them, but I think they are wonderful for metal, rock, and any type of loud rockin' or bass heavy music. You know those songs that every now and then you just want to crank the volume up to 10 and really rock out? These headphones are great for that.

NOTE: Please do NOT crank the volume up to 10, I was just speaking figuratively!
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back