DT-880's show new potential
Sep 28, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #16 of 18
This is the same setup that I enjoy a couple of hours a day, while communicating at my computer; i.e., while listening to background music. But, my SDS/R10 setup is clearly superior for concentrated listening to complex symphonic music. Thus, IMO, the headphone setup that satisfies a person depends, to a significant extent, on the kind of music that a person listens to, and the degree of critical listening the the person employs. That's why some people are fully satisfied with iPods as their source, while others buy super expensive setups.

Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory
I personally adore my DT-880 from my Aria (a solid-state amp)

Gives me the impression that the music is exactly how it should sound (and great to listen to as well)

Sep 29, 2006 at 5:08 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
This is the same setup that I enjoy a couple of hours a day, while communicating at my computer; i.e., while listening to background music. But, my SDS/R10 setup is clearly superior for concentrated listening to complex symphonic music. Thus, IMO, the headphone setup that satisfies a person depends, to a significant extent, on the kind of music that a person listens to, and the degree of critical listening the the person employs. That's why some people are fully satisfied with iPods as their source, while others buy super expensive setups.

After the initial excitement has died down a little, I realize I prefer my 650's as headphones by a small notch, but the DT-880's are no slouch at all, and I listen to mainly jazz and listen pretty critically. However, jazz employs less instrumentation than symphonic music, so in response to what you said, I think we are looking at things a little differently. Also, this isn't really a fair comparison between headphones, because I'm using 2 different amps and sources. I want a new source and cable for my 650's to bring it up to the level that the DT880s are at now. I think the 650's have way more potential. I'm thinking a 2.0 meter Zu Mobius and I'm willing to try another MHDT Labs DAC, the 'Paradisea' with my 650's.

Sep 30, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #18 of 18
I was very content with my 650's and an xcan v2, I found the sound very beguiling but lacking a bit in air, so I ordered V2 cable from headphile, should be here next week.
But... during the 5 week wait I bought a second hand pair of DT880 (older model), wow, they've been on non-stop. The soundstage is much wider than the senns and the attack seems sharper-I also got a lite dac-ah in this period (thanks head-fi) and the dac+xcan+dt880 is involving - I can't stop listening.
I've given the 650's a spin every now and then, and while they do some things better, neutrality and better tone with acoustic instruments, I keep going back to the beyers. With the new cable arriving I'm sure I'll give more time to the senn's and see what a difference a cable makes. But it goes to show- money can't buy you love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back