DT 880 VS DT 990 Gaming?
Nov 14, 2014 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Plexon

Head-Fier
I will be buying a Sound Blaster Z and the schiit stack.

Ill get either the 250 or 600 ohm versions.

I play games like CSGO and BF3, so Im probably going to use dolby surround sound.

Im also going to be using a mod mic.

Whats best for me?

Thanks in advance ^.^

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 6
From personal experience with the DT-880, I had a difficult time with pinpointing player movement in FPS games - I specifically purchased them for gaming - without consideration of other's advice about best FPS gaming headphones. And then I made a second mistake of moving on to the HD650 for competitive FPS gaming. Both headphones were enjoyable for gaming to be sure, but my HD598, AD700x, K712 Pro, HD800 offered me a supremely easier time, with much better scores.

Nov 15, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #3 of 6
I believe the 990s will be perfect for gaming. Accenting the movement sounds and all that and the bass will give pleasing explosions. Both would be similar though but I do believe the 990s have a wider soundstage than the 880s which would be preferable for gaming.(I have them myself and use them for gaming frequently, I just don't have the 880s to compare)

As for ohms, either will be similar and they'res plenty of threads about that for you to find.

All the best!

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 6
The DT880s have neutral, more accurate sound imo. Overall used for details and accuracy
The DT990s have strong trebles, slightly shallower mids and stronger bass. They also have a wider soundstage.
I would choose the DT990s for FPS gaming as with the wide soundstage, it is better for gaming, and the prominent bass would give great sound effects. It's overall a great 'fun' sounding pair of headphones

Nov 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 6
Not a gamer, per se, but I understand what you're looking for. No question the best bet and value for money is going to be the dt990 pro. you may also want to have a look at the DT190, which is the DT150 with a microphone if you need that. It's considered the best closed-back for gaming, and less harsh highs. 

Nov 16, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 6
If you are set on buying one of those two I cannot offer any advice...I've heard the 770's briefly but not the others. My honest opinion though, the best headphones for gaming need two things above all else... great comfort and wide open soundstage. For this reason I always find myself going back to my sennheiser 595's(now 598's). Open design and velour pads don't get sweaty or uncomfortable even after 5+ hours, and wide soundstage gives you that spacial awareness needed in fps's. They won't blow you away with bass-heavy explosions, but that's more of a fun/wow factor than a tactile advantage. Anyways, that's my two cents... Good luck! Also...have you checked the gaming headphones guide thread? Both dt880 and 990 reviews were done on there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back