DT 880 good news
Sep 25, 2004 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

billinkansas

500+ Head-Fier
Not earth-shattering developments here, but after hearing folks complain about the DT 880 having a short coiled cord, it almost put me off to them. I just bought some that have a 10' straight cord, and they still threw in the extension too. 'Thought some may be interested in this.

They sound so clear compared to my HD 555s, but have not yet heard them burned in or on a good amp.

We'll put them to the test at the Lawrence & KC meet.

BK

Sep 26, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas
Not earth-shattering developments here, but after hearing folks complain about the DT 880 having a short coiled cord, it almost put me off to them. I just bought some that have a 10' straight cord, and they still threw in the extension too. 'Thought some may be interested in this.

They sound so clear compared to my HD 555s, but have not yet heard them burned in or on a good amp.

We'll put them to the test at the Lawrence & KC meet.

BK

Damn, when was the kansas meet? can you message me the next time? I live near the KCI airport.

Sep 26, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I like your slightly morose looking cat.

I thought it looked slightly contented. Is the cat named Rorchach?

Congratulations on the phones. I've always been interested in them but the last time I heard them they did not sound significanlty different than my
DT 931s. Anyone disagree with this? Maybe I should try to give them another listen, especially since the coiled cord of the DT 931s sometimes drives me nuts.

Sep 26, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 9
I scheduled my business trip though Fort Wayne IN so as to be able to stop by and audition 'phones at Sweetwater Music Store there. They had the Senn HD 580 & 600, as well as the Beyer DT 880 & 990. Paid $249 for the 880s. Would have bought through one of the Head-fi sponsors, but had the chance to audition in the Sweetwater store, so I grabbed them.

I LOVED the feel and sound of the HD 600s, almost bought both. Wallet got thin enough as it was. Sweetwater would have knocked off a chunk of the cost had I taken both pairs. The 880's were just a little more 'real' sounding to me, but not 'better' sounding. We'll put them through their paces at the upcoming meet.

Answers to above:
KC meet is Sat., Oct 9, 3:00 PM in Lawrence KS, PM me if you are interested in coming.

Cat's name is Theodore (Ted), a real bad ass. He can take live bats out of the air, and jump a 7' fence with a squirrel in his mouth. He's nice usually.

Sep 26, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Cat's name is Theodore (Ted), a real bad ass. He can take live bats out of the air, and jump a 7' fence with a squirrel in his mouth. He's nice usually.

Wow, that is a kinda cat I want to have at my own home if my wife lets me
wink.gif
As a former DT880 owner, I guess a standard greeting is in order Welcome to Headfi and sorry about your wallet!

Sep 26, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

I LOVED the feel and sound of the HD 600s, almost bought both. Wallet got thin enough as it was. Sweetwater would have knocked off a chunk of the cost had I taken both pairs. The 880's were just a little more 'real' sounding to me, but not 'better' sounding. We'll put them through their paces at the upcoming meet.

Just out of curiousity, have you tried HD650 in additiont to HD600?

Sep 27, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 9
I did not try the 650, as my time was a bit short. I hope that someone can bring some to the KC - Lawrence meet coming up. The 600's were like a Lincoln Town Car - smooth and clean; the Beyers 880's were like a Beemer - quick and responsive, at the slight expense of smoothness. Your profile says 'Great Midwest' - how close to Lawrence, KS? Meet is Sat. Oct. 9.

Ted is really a nice cat, he just has no time for nonsense from other animals.
His brother 'Big Al' has bailed him out more than once against the neighborhood bully cat. Big Al Whoops bully cat - Ted bails out. Maybe that's where the P word comes from?

BK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back