DT 880 Amp w/ DAC Help
Apr 15, 2014 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

greenhunterbam

New Head-Fier
So Im super super new to this whole audio thing. I did research all day and im stumped at this particular thing. I plan on getting the DT 880 Pro headphones 250 ohm version. I plan on using the headphones for 75% gaming. And it was recommended to me that I dont get a gaming headset as the quality was bad. I also plan on using studio speakers. I dont know which to choose, I have Audioengine A5+ and M-Audio BX5 D2 in mind. My problem is that it was told to me that I need an amp to use to the 880s and then I was told that I would be able to use an amp+dac box with the Audioengine A5+ because it already had an amp built in and it would conflict and stuff. I dont know if its true. But I am looking at three products for amps and dac. The main one I am looking at is JDS Labds o2+adac for $280, and the other two are the Focusrite Scarlett  2i2's(I dont know if its an amp as well) and the audioe engine d1(dac only I head?). What I want to know is which is needed for the best quality out of DT 880 Pro? Does the 880 Pro even need an amp? is the 2i2 an amp and dac? Just amp? Or Just DAC? Is the d1 enough for the 880 pro as just a dac? Also have speaker questions. I understand that the speakers will always be default, but if I connect the headphones do they automatically mute the speakers? Is there a way to have both headphones and speakers connected and just disabling one using software? Thats it for now. Any help is appreciated. Any other product idea would be idle to, Im not set on just these, just what I could find. I plan to be using the headphones for gaming 80% of the time, and the speakers for movies. Thanks. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 3
Seems that you're trying to do too many things at once,
and it's not necessary.

You seem more set on the headphones than anything else,
so you can start there. They are great headphones, and have
justifiably been a favorite of the community for a long time. 

They sound best with plenty of power; I highly recommend
you get an amp.

The JDS O2 is top value for money.

Next - do you need a DAC?
Depends what source you'll be using for the headphones!
A phone? A computer? Something else? 

Some sources have DAC's built in.
Many of those DAC's aren't that good, and you'll benefit from
bypassing those in favor of a good external DAC.

Next - speakers.
Do you want speakers with built in amplifiers aka 'powered speakers'?
Or do you want 'regular' speakers, in which case you'll need an amplifier to drive them.
(The headphone amplifier is separate and apart from the amplifier for the speakers.)
Doing some research on your speakers is important so as to get the sound you like -
seems obvious perhaps. but I'm saying not to just pick out speakers in 5 minutes and
run with that.  There are some terrific values out there.

Hope this helps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back