DT 770's 250 ohm, am I missing out? (Fiio E07K + 250ohm or 80ohm)
Sep 17, 2014 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

schul105

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I just joined the forum after much searching and deliberation and need some advice on what I should do,

I've been looking for a my first pair of high quality headphones and initially settled on the Audiotechnica M50x's however returned them as they just weren't comfortable enough.
After this I ordered a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 80 ohm and a Fiio E07K to power them and use as a DAC, however the shop accidentally sent me the 250 ohm set.

Therefore my question is, should I stick with the 250ohm set, or send them back for my originally ordered 80 ohm set? To my ears, the 250 ohm set sound pretty great, however, will the E07K provide ample power to bring out there full potential, or it still be under powering them? 

If so should I swap for the 80 ohm set or buy a Fiio E09k to combo with my E07K to provide ample power? Would the extra $100 be worth it?

From what I have been able to learn from the forums, it seems the 250 ohm has a larger sound stage, which appeals to me greatly, however the 80 ohms have more bass (better for electonic music). 
Some other info, I'll mainly be using these to listen to music (everything from classical to rock, pop, electronic etc), I'm also a casual gamer, hence a larger sound stage is advantageous in this regard.

Any help, advice and insight will be very appreciated! 

Thanks!

(P.s, loving the forums!)

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 4
The best way to find out is to try - I found that a Fiio E18 will power some very thirsty 600 ohm/88dB headphones with room to spare, but the rating just goes up to 150 ohms..!

It's not so bad for you, but if you ring the shop and point out their awful error - they will be looking at refunding your return postage and spending on postage again with the 80ohm version - perhaps it will be easier for them to refund a bit against your payment?
wink_face.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I've thought about calling the shop up and discussing it with them, see what happens haha..

After testing it out it does power them alright to good volume levels (on the highest gain setting), however i'm more concerned about not getting the same sound reproduction because of them being under-powered. For example big bass hits being looser than they could be with a more powerful amp etc? Or problems with under/over damping?
I'm only just starting to delve into the world of quality headphones/amps etc, my previous experience has only been with high end car audio systems! So any info or words of wisdom are great!

Sep 17, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 4
E07K should drive DT770 250 Ohm quite well, same for 80 Ohm versions.
80 Ohm versions are not a lot easier to drive despite its lower impedance. Between these headphones, I think it's wiser to pick the one that suit your likes better, as you already stated 80 Ohm versions provide more bass, while 250 Ohm versions are slightly more neutral.

Best Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back