DT 770 Pro or DT 990 Pro?
Dec 29, 2011 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ShahnT

New Head-Fier
Hello, recently my AD700s have pooped out on me and I'm in need of new headphones.  I've always been interested in the DT 770/880/990 series so I thought I'd go ahead and buy a pair.  I'm stuck between the DT 770 Pro 80 ohm or the DT 990 250 ohm.  I do quite a bit of gaming (FPS's and RPG's) but also need them to be good for music, such as hip-hop and dubstep.  I've read up on reviews, but like a lot of you know, they often contradict.  Some say the DT 990 is the perfect headphone and produces the best sound in Beyerdynamic line-up, and others say the treble sounds awful and is unbearable.  Then some say the DT 770s are perfect for gaming and are clear and fun, and others say the bass is muddy and overpowering.  So, what better way to decide than post a thread suited especially for me?  The price difference is negligible.  This is assuming they both are properly amped and working to the best of their abilities.  I'll probably be pulling the trigger in 2-4 days.  Thanks a lot, everyone!

TL;DR: DT 770 pro 80 ohm or DT 990 pro 250 ohm? I play games, mainly FPS, and listen to hip-hop/dubstep and some alternative rock.  

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 3
Do you need isolation ? The 770 is closed, while the 990 is open, and leaks sound in and out. But the latter has a cleaner sound with less dips and peaks in the frequency response. Both have an overall U or V shaped frequency response with emphasized bass and sharp treble, but the bass is heavier in the sub-bass range with the 770, while the 990 focuses more on the mid-bass (i.e. the former has more "thump" while the latter has more "punch"). Alternatively, the 880 Pro has more balanced sound than either of the above, and comes with a carrying case, but may have a less "fun" signature than the 990 and is also more expensive.

Jun 8, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 3
While searching for the dt 990 pro, i've seen 2 designs, i'm awar that there are premium, pro, black edition models, but i saw different designs on 2 pro models, one has "beyerdynamic" written on the sides, while the other one, the most common, has "DT 990 PRO" written. I just want to know what's up with that. Is there a difference? Hope someone could help. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back