DT 770 Pro 32 Ohm: Replacing cable from 250 Ohm
Jan 13, 2017 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tarwin

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I recently bought DT 770 Pro (32 Ohm), after losing my 10 year old 250 Ohms. Sadly the the 32 Ohms come with a 1.6 meter straight cable, rather than the amazing coiled 3 meter cable that comes with the 250 Ohms.

I decided to do some DIY, buy a coiled cable (from the 250 Ohms) and simply replace it myself. That's where the problem comes in; the sounds is now horrible. It sounds like what you'd get if the phase was all out of wack, missing high / voice, still some base.

I'm super experienced with soldering etc but I thought I did it all right. Could it be that difference impedance headphones support different lengths of cable? It seems that COULD be a problem as mentioned here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/185834/length-limit-for-headphone-extension-cords

Any thoughts appreciated.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 5
  Hi,

I recently bought DT 770 Pro (32 Ohm), after losing my 10 year old 250 Ohms. Sadly the the 32 Ohms come with a 1.6 meter straight cable, rather than the amazing coiled 3 meter cable that comes with the 250 Ohms.

I decided to do some DIY, buy a coiled cable (from the 250 Ohms) and simply replace it myself. That's where the problem comes in; the sounds is now horrible. It sounds like what you'd get if the phase was all out of wack, missing high / voice, still some base.

I'm super experienced with soldering etc but I thought I did it all right. Could it be that difference impedance headphones support different lengths of cable? It seems that COULD be a problem as mentioned here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/185834/length-limit-for-headphone-extension-cords

No, not likely.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 5

Headphone cable is very basic, you could cable a headphone with a 3ft cable or a 10ft cable and the headphone would sound the same (or 99% the same).
Cool that your experienced with soldering, so it may not be the soldering itself, but they way you connected the wires might not be right.
Some headphones use a common ground wire, some use separate grounding wires, maybe(?) there might be a difference between the different DT770 models (Pro vs Premium)?

It might have been better if you just bought a coiled 6ft extension cable, to connect to the original cable the 32-Ohm DT770 came with

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the responses.

Firstly, I mistyped. I'm "not" super experienced with soldering. Haha. But I don't think that's the problem.

Weirdly I'm trying a multi-meter on the cable itself and the ground is showing infinite resistance ... or I'm doing it wrong. If it is infinite that means that ... well the ground is broken, which I'm guessing would mean that there is a problem there.

I'm going to just run a wire seperatlry from the ground somehow and test that ...

The ground has to be grounded to the source to make a circuit right? (Sorry, maybe not the right place to ask and SUPER noob)

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the responses.

Firstly, I mistyped. I'm "not" super experienced with soldering. Haha. But I don't think that's the problem.

Weirdly I'm trying a multi-meter on the cable itself and the ground is showing infinite resistance ... or I'm doing it wrong. If it is infinite that means that ... well the ground is broken, which I'm guessing would mean that there is a problem there.

I'm going to just run a wire seperatlry from the ground somehow and test that ...

The ground has to be grounded to the source to make a circuit right? (Sorry, maybe not the right place to ask and SUPER noob)

I'm not the expert.
But the grounding wire(s) run from the diaphragm in the cup, to the grounding connection on the plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back