DT 770 or V moda m-100?
Mar 9, 2017 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hisagishi

100+ Head-Fier
So I have a broken pair of dt 990s that I used for 4 years, one speaker works still. I tried the cable mod and it went badly so now I have to shop for new headphones.

My thoughts on each pick.

DT 770 250Ohm: I already have a good speaker so if one goes out I can just replace it (assuming I get better at soldering)

Vmoda M100: It has detachable cable already and more bass which is what I want. More bass than my 990s But I head they are uncomfortable to some people and the bass extends to far.

DT 990 250Ohm: I had almost no bass, this is what I want more of in a new set of cans, I amped it with a Fiio E11 on high gain with a the bass EQ boost and it still wasn't enough bass for me to really feel it.

I won't be using these for music, strictly for gaming/youtube/podcasts. Not competitive gaming either so sound stage might not be as big of an issue since I will be playing singleplayer games like divinity original sin.

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 4
So I have a broken pair of dt 990s that I used for 4 years, one speaker works still. I tried the cable mod and it went badly so now I have to shop for new headphones.

My thoughts on each pick.

DT 770 250Ohm: I already have a good speaker so if one goes out I can just replace it (assuming I get better at soldering)

Vmoda M100: It has detachable cable already and more bass which is what I want. More bass than my 990s But I head they are uncomfortable to some people and the bass extends to far.

DT 990 250Ohm: I had almost no bass, this is what I want more of in a new set of cans, I amped it with a Fiio E11 on high gain with a the bass EQ boost and it still wasn't enough bass for me to really feel it.

I won't be using these for music, strictly for gaming/youtube/podcasts. Not competitive gaming either so sound stage might not be as big of an issue since I will be playing singleplayer games like divinity original sin.

Of the two you list and based on everything you have said, I would go for the M100. That said, another option that could be better potentially is the Fidelio X2. It has a huge soundstage, which could be beneficial for gaming, even noncompetitive gaming. The X2 also has a deep and robust bass response, which you are looking for. You might read about it and see what you think.

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah the fidelio X2 is quite a bit out of my price range at 250 bucks. The high end of my price range is 200 so the v-modas are even a stretch.

Maybe I could give a list of features I want and someone could reply back with things that tick the boxes?

From most important to least important:

1: Durable
1: Around ear headphones, if they sit on top of my ears I won't bother trying them.
2: Possibly detachable cable? Thats how my 990s broke, the cable started coming out so I figured a cable mod would be nice.
3: Good amount of bass, more that 990s, I want to feel explosions that are right next to me.

For instance I was looking at the beyerdynamic Custom One Pros because they have good bass and have a detachable cable, but there are lots of reports of the drivers dieing after a couple weeks/months, so they are off the list.

How would I go about selling the working 990 driver? I don't have many posts here and I don't have an ebay/amazon account with any seller feedback so people aren't going to want to buy it from essentially a nobody? Is there any seller protection, like they state they never received the item and I lose out on money...

Mar 10, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 4
Buy a used pair of Fidelio X1s...checks all your boxes...and gets your trader rating started,so you can attempt to sell that driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back