DT 770 or DT 990 or ______ for my purposes? My A700s are lacking....
Dec 25, 2011 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Emart

New Head-Fier
I got a pair of A700s as a gift, and they're great, however they're lacking in the fun category for me because I like to listen to dubstep/rap. My problem is that I want headphones that will still be good for gaming. 

What's the most fun, bass-heavy set of headphones I can get away with using while still being good with FPS games?

-Portability and isolation are non-issues
-Needs to be <$200
-Optional: Would be a nice bonus if it sounded tolerable driven by just a Xonar DG card for the time being before I can pick up an amp. Not a deal breaker. 

Any information and advice to help me with this decision would be MUCH appreciated, my head is spinning from all the research. 

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 8

DT990 250ohm should be adequate from the Xonar.

I prefer the 600ohm version personally but they need some real
 amplification.

Good headphone for your needs, soundstage is amply sized
 and the bass once properly amped is quite special, tight
 and deep.

Construction is A1 and they look quite retro and cool.

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the helpful reply. 

I notice the 990 Premium is priced at $269 (amazon link), whereas the 990 Pro is $179 (link).

The only difference my research has uncovered is that the pro has more clamp (can be mitigated with stretching), and as a result has a minor effect on the bass and soundstage. How different are they? Is it important that I find a way to get the premiums? 

Dec 25, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Thanks for the helpful reply. 

I notice the 990 Premium is priced at $269 (amazon link), whereas the 990 Pro is $179 (link).

The only difference my research has uncovered is that the pro has more clamp (can be mitigated with stretching), and as a result has a minor effect on the bass and soundstage. How different are they? Is it important that I find a way to get the premiums? 

Have not really spent enough time with the Pros ~ it appears to be a tad bassier. My comments were certainly
 only in relation to the Premiums. Better looking too 
smile.gif

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 8
I directly compared the two just over a week ago. The DT990 Pro has an uncomfortable amount of bass that bleeds into the midrange. The Premium SOUNDS like a Premium can. There was no comparison to me. I'd spend the extra cash on the Premiums.

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 8
Interesting! I've yet to find anything but vague indifference between the premium and pro, and was just about to pull the trigger on the pros. Thanks for the insight, I'll check into this further. 

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 8
The difference isn't night and day. Just that the Pros hits considerably harder in terms of mid bass, whereas the Premium spreads it out to where it doesn't cause bass fatigue. They do sound very much the same other wise. The bass makes the Pros not sound as mid fi as the Premiums.

If it wasn't for the bass, I'd have kept the Pros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back