DT 770 noooooooooooooooooo
Apr 25, 2009 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

CloudColor

New Head-Fier
WHY WHY WHY IS THIS HAPPENING.

doing my recable of my DT770's
I'm on the last f#%^@#$%@ step where i have to do my soldering to the right cup. and then just pop it in DONE

EXCEPT THAT NOW MY MULTIMETER IS SHOWING THE GROUND AND RIGHT CHANNEL ARE CONNECTED. NOOOOOOOOOOOO
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif
angry_face.gif

Its being very weird tho. at first it seemed like it would only read if i touched the solder and not the connection points. so i removed the solder. hoping that some internal area would get cleaned up. now It doesn't read as often as used to....but i don't know what the heck is going on
noooo.JPG

here is a picture of the clean points which you can sorta see.
the points in question are the left (right channel) and right (ground)
I have no clue what to do at this point. Sometimes it shows no connection but i don't want to risk it.

PLEASE HELP THANK YOU
i'm pretty frantic at this point.

EDIT::: well i hooked up some bare wires to a bare 1/4 jack. It plays sound so i guess it works, but i'm not sure if the quality is suffering or if i put solder on it will get worse. I have to go out for a bit, i will post back later.
Thanks again everybody

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #4 of 10
The orignial wiring used all three connections but you don't need to at all. All i use is the left which is the channel and the right which is the ground wire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixz8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well technically they should be connected... since the coil is just a wire...

Did you measure the resistance before/after?

I'm not sure which measurement to use on my multimeter. I just know that if numbers come up its not good? Originally nothing would register and now i seem to get random readings from 0-80.

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 10
It's normal, left/right/ground are connected to each other. It does make checking for mistakes difficult, so you will have to depend on your ears and not your instruments. If it works like before the mod, then I wouldn't worry. Use your player/software's balance control and make sure you're hearing only left/right side.

left plug -> driver (+) -> driver (-) -> plug ground <- driver (-) <- driver (+) <- right plug
Choose two and you'll always find continuity between them

This won't matter if you're doing balanced.

Apr 25, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 10
I guess i will solder the wires back on and see how it sounds. but i know originally they would not show readings. my left cup did not and when i do tests on a plug they don't either.

I'm not sure what that arrow diagram is telling me but thanks shinyfalcon, i will give it a try.....

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 10
Heh don't worry about the diagram, I was just trying to tell you that if you plug your multimeter in any of those two spots, then you'll get a continuity reading. If you're measuring resistance, anything close to zero or maybe the driver's impedance would mean a connection, and a really high number could mean a discontinuity.

However I do get your problem as well, sometimes my multimeter won't get a reading unless I stab the joint or place the probes differently. In your left cup's case it could mean just that. But if what you're saying about left is correct and there's no connection across the driver, then that's not good...

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 10
I will never get any readings when probing any channel to any ground. Except for this random occurance where get all kinds of crazy readings. right now its settling on about .08 when i use the symbol like this:
->|-
I have soldered everything back and now my ground and right channel are interchangeable?? which would make sense as my meter is giving them a reading together.
they both seem to sound the same. And i think it sounds identical to my left earcup but i need to put a plug on right quick.

Apr 25, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #9 of 10
hokkkkay its done and all back together. It sounds great but i'm hoping my cables need to be broken in, if that even happens.
Overall tho they do sound a bet better.....mehbe.

I'm still pretty confused as to how my right ground and right channel are interchangeable yet still work fine!

I shall post pics in the new build thread tomo.

massif edit:: These cans sound bad ass

Apr 26, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #10 of 10
You want to have the ground and signal wires on the right places. Look at my post in that thread from a few weeks back. Otherwise your drivers are out of phase and won't sound good/right.

When it's all put together there will be continuity (resistance) between ground, left, and right. This is because the ground is connected to the signal wire through the drivers themselves, and left/right shares a ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back