DT-770 Left/Right emphasis
Jan 24, 2009 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mud

New Head-Fier
Hello. I received my DT-770 Pro/80 a few weeks back and I instantly fell in love with them. They sound great. However, I started noticing some very very minor emphasis differences on them. I decided to ask the headfiers here as to have any experienced such before, can it be a feature with the music and my tiny self paying too much attention?
I mean, it sounds as if the right speaker of the phone has slightly more emphasis on it. Little more powerful and more bassy. Note that this emphasis is very slight.
I asked my gf to listen and she said initially she didn't notice anything. Earlier today my parents visited my place and my dad wanted to tryout my headphones. He also said that he initially noticed slight emphasis on the right speaker and the left sounding a very very minor tad quieter. He admitted though that he didn't notice it after the initial first seconds.

Do you think there could be something wrong with the headphones? Or is it a feature of the phone? Or many phones? Or are tracks just laid out that way there's more sound on other side or maybe more punchier sounds to make it sound a bit different? Or is in in my head? Or is it in my left ear?
It is very very slight.. Very.

Thanks for your time reading on me troubles

Jan 24, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 11
Never noticed it with mine outside of the occasional song.

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 11
Try different music on different formats with different sources and amps, if possible.
For example if you have a turntable, tuner, Cd player. Try all of them.
Try also different volumes.

Jan 25, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 11
First, we'll assume that you switched the headphones around to hear if the sound was indeed greater on the right or your left ear wasn't just dirty.
I felt a loss in the left recently until I cleaned out my ears with an earwax kit.
Covering your ears or puting IEM's in the canal increases the temperature of the inner ear and makes more wax production. I though it was losing my hearing on the left until I cleaned them out.

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 11
I noticed the same thing your describing with a pair of HD485 I used to have.
I always thought it was because the cord was one sided, the wire that then connects to the other driver can cause
a very slight 'lag' in signal.
However, the cans I use now are one sided and I dont notice a problem at all.
confused_face.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 11
I sometimes think the same thing with my DT990's
smily_headphones1.gif
When i change recording's it seems to be different. I think i may have a slight difference in hearing in my left ear anyhow.

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 11
After reading your comments I was almost certain it must be with my left ear. But turning the headphones around and comparing them with my PortaPros it's pretty obvious the left speaker is quieter. The higher the volume the more obvious the difference. I cranked up the volume some and did tests with static noise out of both speakers one at a time and the right one does make higher volume. Can't really describe how much higher volume... It's not much, but it is higher volume.

Is this a common flaw? What you lads think?

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #10 of 11
Jan 29, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #11 of 11
Yup yup, looks like a same problem alright.
It's just so obvious with the static sound and my girlfriend also notices it without a doubt, even if she doesn't know which way the headphones are on her head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back