Dt 770 from Custom Cans or WS 1100
Apr 6, 2017 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JoshG1217

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

So I have been on the headphone roller coaster for a while now, and am still there.

Here's the back story:

I have purchased m40x, urbanite xl, v moda m100, Sony xb950bt, Beyers dt 770 (both 80 and 16 ohm), Philips Fidelio l2, UE 6000, and PSB m4u 1.

Of those, I kept the l2, the PSB, and the UE 6000. I then sold the l2 because an open can doesn't work great for me. Gym is the primary use. Some office and home, and I am open to 2-3 pairs of headphones long term, as I like collecting them.

Here's where I am landing. I listen primarily to metal, metalcore, hardcore, but love crisp recordings and good clarity. I use power amp to EQ my v10, and buy CD's to rip flac files.

Through the process of going through headphones, I have realized I like a good V shaped headphone that can handle bass, as well as a highly detailed sound with a good sound stage. I don't want boomy bass, I hated the V moda's. I really like the dt 770's, though they are not quite as detailed as the PSB's. I returned them because of the cable. I hate attached cables. However, their sound stage is awesome, whereas the PSB's feel muffled in comparison; they lack space between instruments, imo.

Here's the current dilemna:
I can go ahead and get the DT 770's from custom cans uk with a detachable cable mod, and custom painted cups for 209 pounds. That includes dampening and mass loading.

or

I can get the WS 1100 for $140 used. I know they leak sound, but I would be open to closing the bass ports to increase isolation.

Anyone have experience with custom cans, or the WS 1100 relative to the 770's?

Ultimately, I want a bass heavy headphone (I will EQ as I see fit) with good clarity and sound stage that looks good.

I am also open to the 880's, and sealing them, as well, but I would still go through custom cans to get the detachable cable, as I won't want to mess with it in my own.

Source:

One more question. Thinking about a Cowon Plenue D. Is it actualyl an upgrade to the v10 with power amp or a waste of money?

Thanks guys

Josh

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #2 of 8
Man, I guess my posts are just not that interesting.

So I got a decent commission this month and ordered the dt 770 250 ohm, 16 ohm, WS 1100, custom one pro plus, and sony h.ear mdr abn 100. So far the 250 ohm and the ws1100 arrived. I compared these to one another and my PSB's and UE 6000's.

The WS1100's sound like absolute crap. No musicality or sound stage. They sounded metallic as well. They just felt and sounded like a cheap headphone. Certainly not a $250 pair of cans. The UE 600's, the PSB's and the Dt 770's all sound way better. Alreadt sent them back. I am officially over Audio Technica.

The Dt 770's are harsh in the treble at times, but can be EQ'd and then sound really great. The sound stage is just so dman good! It sounds the closest to speakers or live music to me because of the instrumental separation. I picked up the 3.5" jack and a soldering kit at radio shack yesterday, and plan to modify the phone to take a detachable cable. I have some 16 guage wire that I plan to use as several posts I have read say that the wire inside the headphone is thin and that the headphone benefits from a lower gauge. I also plan to order the damping kit from custom cans.

The custom one pro's and Sony' arrive today. Excited to listen to them, though I imagine they will not exceed the Dt 770's. The 16 ohm 770's arrive tomorrow for the A/B. Curious how they sound compared to the 250's, and if there is a difference.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #3 of 8
So I auditioned the Custom One Pro's. They are better than the UE 6000's, but not as good as the 770's, but they have the detachable cable, which is nice, and the adjustability is really cool. The headband is also a little more comfortable than the 770's, and it is velcro vs. snap. Good looking headphones.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 8
The Sony's sound like crap compared to the custom one pro's, which don't sound as good as the DT 770's. Keeping the 770's, and returning the rest. The 16 ohm 770's arrive tomorrow. Curious to see how they sound comparatively.

Apr 11, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 8
  The Sony's sound like crap compared to the custom one pro's, which don't sound as good as the DT 770's. Keeping the 770's, and returning the rest. The 16 ohm 770's arrive tomorrow. Curious to see how they sound comparatively.

One question--if you like the 770 16 ohm version, will you keep both DT770s? If so, why?

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #6 of 8
No. I wanted to see if there was a difference in sound, and then keep the best of the 2. The only benefit of the 16 ohm, in my estimate is that it is easily drivable, and has the short cord for portability, so I would not be in a rush to mod it.

Apr 11, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 8
Though, I would not be oppossed to having a gym set (16 ohm) and a home set (250 ohm). We will see.

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #8 of 8
so, my 16 ohm 770's arrived yesterday and I did an A/B with the 250's and the m4u-1's. The 16 ohm still has a good sound stage and clarity, and previously I had gone back and forth between it and the PSB's. However, the 250 ohm has a different sound signature. It's sound stage is wider than the 16 ohm, and it is brighter than the 16 ohm. I even changed the pads between them to see if that made a difference. Not much. he 250 just sound better. I do EQ via poweramp, but with the same EQ, and then switching the 16 ohm version to my PSB EQ, the 250 just sound wider and clearer. The 16 ohm is headed back. The 250 ohm is the clear winner.

So now to modify the cable and buy the pleather earpads.

Though I do like the custom ones as well, but relative to the UE 6000's, rather than the Dt 770's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back