Dt 770 Cable Mod Help
Apr 15, 2017 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JoshG1217

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys,

So I modded my 250 ohm Dt 770's this week.

I used this as the receiver: https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-3-5mm-2-conductor-panel-mount-phone-jack.

I followed custom cans uk's video.

Everything was removed and soldered, and it works, but it sounds like crap now. I checked the polarity, and I had reversed it, so I corrected that, but still sounds way worse than before. Previosuly, I had preferred the sound signature over my PSB's, but not any more.

One thing, and this may be a big thing is that the driver does touch the jack slightly. Everything still closes up in the headphone, but they touch. Could this be the source? WOuld I be better off enlarging the whole, and moving it back with a 3 pin XLR jack so it doesn't touch?

I also used stranded speaker cable from home depot. 24 guage. Could that be the issue?

Would prefer not to throw these in the garbage, so help is appreciated.

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #2 of 5
Well, they're toast. Going to order a pair from custom cans. Not recommended for folks who haven't soldered before.

Apr 22, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 5
  Hey guys,

I used this as the receiver: https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-3-5mm-2-conductor-panel-mount-phone-jack.

Everything was removed and soldered, and it works, but it sounds like crap now. I checked the polarity, and I had reversed it, so I corrected that, but still sounds way worse than before. Previosuly, I had preferred the sound signature over my PSB's, but not any more.

One thing, and this may be a big thing is that the driver does touch the jack slightly. Everything still closes up in the headphone, but they touch. Could this be the source? WOuld I be better off enlarging the whole, and moving it back with a 3 pin XLR jack so it doesn't touch?

I also used stranded speaker cable from home depot. 24 guage. Could that be the issue?

Im certainly no expert on such things but a bit of logic tells me that using 24 gauge speaker wire wasnt the best choice.

I tried soldering but my vision sucks too bad to see small stuff...better luck on your next mod.

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 5
  Hey guys,

Well, they're toast. Going to order a pair from custom cans. Not recommended for folks who haven't soldered before.

Probably had + and - touch in there.

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 5
They weren't touching. I checked that.

I couldn't tell what wire to use. None of the guides really said anything as far as I could tell. Oh, well. It was a good experience? Saving up for a more custom pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back