DT 770 and EMU0404
Sep 13, 2007 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

maestro2k4

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I have recently purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770. I bought the 32 ohm version somehow thinking it would work with my old SB Live PCI soundcard. But it's doesn't work as well as i expected it.

While looking around on the forums for an amp i came across EMU 0404 USB soundcard which, from my understanding, has an integrated headphone amp. My question would be if this is enough to run this headphones with or if i'm better off with buying a dedicated headphone amp.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

PS: It took me almost 2 years to finally post :p But it's been nice lurking around here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 6
i wanted to buy 0404 usb, but many ppl told me that i need a high-current amp, or some buffer(for diy buf634). I cannot tell u technicaly why,
but my friend explained it to me. So i would rather take soundcard + standalone amp(like i am going to do)

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 6
The E-MU 0404 USB will do 32Ohm fine, but you would be WAY better of with the 250Ohm DT.

I would buy a Amp instead of the E-MU in your case, or try to trade the 32Ohm DT770 for a 250Ohm version.

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Nobax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E-MU 0404 USB will do 32Ohm fine, but you would be WAY better of with the 250Ohm DT.

I would buy a Amp instead of the E-MU in your case, or try to trade the 32Ohm DT770 for a 250Ohm version.

Thanks for the fast responses guys.

Sir Nobax, could you elaborate on why i'd be better off with the 250ohm version of the 770's? It's impossible for me to change them now anyhow, just as a personal curiosity...

Sep 13, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 6
The E-MU drives 250 Ohm HP's better then 32 Ohm HP's, since the E-MU does not have a very powerfull amp (low Ohm can's require more current then high Ohm ones).
Still, the E-MU USB amp is pretty good though, but for low impendence headphones some special amps do a better job.

What i experience is that most 'out of the box' desktop amps are better suited for 250 Ohm rather then 32 Ohm, but ofcourse you can change the op-amps/tubes/whatever for better results (if that is possible).

32Ohm is easier to drive directly out of a weak source though (DAP's).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back