DT 770 a good choice for me?
Apr 14, 2015 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

BrockSamson

New Head-Fier
I have some HD 598 that I got for computer gaming. They work great for this purpose but had the unintended side effect of showing me how crappy my IEMs at work are. Unfortunately the HD 598 aren't suitable for a work environment so I guess I have no choice but to buy more headphones :)

I was thinking of something like my HD 598 that is super comfortable, over ear, and has velour pads (or at least an option for them). They would have to be closed so that my coworkers can't hear and I would like more bass for EDM, rock, and other music. A DAC/AMP is ok as long as it's versatile. Right now I use Spotify premium and di.fm on my computer but in the future I may be limited to just my Nexus 5 phone.

I was thinking that $200-500 for both the headphones and a DAC/AMP would give me a good bang for my buck. Lower is better of course, and I am initially leaning towards a DT 770 (not sure which version) with a portable DAC/AMP, but maybe there are better options for me?

One final complication is that I was also thinking about buying a Schiit Uber 2 Stack (need optical for 3d audio) for my home computer. That's not so portable though, and while I could go over-budget and get two separate DAC/AMP combos if that's the best option, maybe there is a good portable DAC/AMP combo that I could take with me and use in both locations?

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 2
Yes. The DT770 sounds like it might suit your needs. If you go with the pro 250, you will need an amp. Perhaps the E11K or E10K would be enough for your listening volume at work? Might be worth buying one and trying it out. That would leave you plenty of money for your home amp/dac setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back