DT 770 - A bass question
Nov 20, 2002 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jackangel

100+ Head-Fier
I've had the DT 770s for some time now, but haven't listened to them much, or said anything about what I think of them, because I was waiting for my meta42 to come and then give a proper listen.

However, I am curious about what happens to the bass at higher volumes. I'm using them straight out of the headphone jack on my D-25s. And the music I'm listening is to usually hip-hop, tracks with fairly thick/heavy bass (nothing major, but heavier than the usual in other genres definitely). With the volume between 6-8, the bass is what I'd expect from the 770s after reading on Head-Fi...strong. They do push a nice amount of air, giving some of that physical sensation along with the lower frequencies.

But, when the volume is turned up between 8-10 (somewhat loud, but not very loud, since these are not so easy to drive or very efficient) the bass distorts noticeably. This isn't meant as a complaint, and certainly not as a revelation. But what I'd like to know is if this distortion is primarily due to the inaquedacy of the D-25s as a source? Is it both the cd player function and the headphone output that is to blame? At it its worst, it does sound like some resonance in the driver housing. But I'm not sure, and I certainly hope that's not the case. Rather, I hope it's just a typical case of flabby bass from a pair of hard-to-drive 'phones because the source isn't quite up to the task.

People say that getting a headphone amp definitely tightens up the bass, and I hope that's what happens when my meta42 arrives. But, I'm wondering if that will take care of the problem, or are there other factors involved? Another important concern is the music itself. Will bass-heavy music like hip-hop always have some of that distortion/resonance/flabbiness at louder volumes, regardless of the source's quality? Or is it likely the the headphones themselves may have something loose?

In any case, I'll find out soon enough. In the meantime, I wanted some opinions as to what the most likely combination of factors might be, and how much each factor plays a role.

Nov 20, 2002 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

But, when the volume is turned up between 8-10 (somewhat loud, but not very loud, since these are not so easy to drive or very efficient) the bass distorts noticeably. This isn't meant as a complaint, and certainly not as a revelation. But what I'd like to know is if this distortion is primarily due to the inaquedacy of the D-25s as a source?

I'm pretty sure the problem is the D25S. IIRC, the bass starts to go south at high volumes. I've never run it loud enough to find out, but it seems like I read that in the portables section, maybe in the review archive?

Nov 20, 2002 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 8
Distortion at higher volumes is generally due to inadequate amplification -- it's not the headphones, but rather the amp that's distorting.

Nov 20, 2002 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 8
I just built my own META and have heard no distortion from my 770s with the volume turned way up - much too loud to actually listen to. The problem you're experiencing is definitely the CDP. You'll love the 770s with the META, particularly with the type of music you mention.

Nov 20, 2002 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 8
Good good. This is what I wanted to hear.
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Jackangel
Good good. This is what I wanted to hear.
biggrin.gif

A headphone amp is pretty much required for the DT-770's. If you don't have one, music sounds distant and muddy and might suffer from the problems you mentioned in your first post.

You got nothing to worry 'bout...them be some whup-ass cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back