DT 770 80ohm or Meze 99 (Noir?)?
Aug 2, 2021 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

soratoyuki

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone. I'm looking for a slightly-bass heavy closed back pair of cans for my computer that won't mildly irritate my pierced ears or my girlfriend who's desk is right next to mine. I guess it's the M50s in my stable that I'm looking to replace since they kind of fill that void, but i haven't been using them much lately anyway. I'm leaning towards the DT 770 Pro 80 ohms or Meze 99 (Noir, I think), but I'm not sure if that's enough of an upgrade to really even warrant it?

Along with my semi-retired M50s (which, while really uncomfortable, I generally do like the sound of. Or, maybe I'm just used to them?), I have a pair of HD 599s, but they're not always appropriate due to sound leakage. I also have a pair of Hyperx Clouds when I need an attached mic (although I usually use a separate mic), and they're probably the most comfortable cans for me: the large, deep, sealing ear voids are just wonderful for me), and Porta Pros for porta reasons. I run them through my high-ish end motherboard and a Schiit Heresy. As far as I can tell, I don't have any electrical interference, so no need for a DAC at the moment.

My music taste is kind of eclectic, but primarily rock, post-rock, punk, shoegaze, chiptunes/8-bit stuff, jazz, and classical, probably about in that order. I also play bass, and I'm okay sacrificing a bit of neutrality for extra bass. Having a slightly emphasized bass helps me follow bass lines better, and also, you know, get in the pocket. Shrug. I already have more flat 599s, so I'm pretty okay getting headphones that aren't necessarily flat/monitor. My reservations are that I've heard the the 99s can have an overpowering bass that muddles everthing else, wheras the 770s can have fatiguing treble. I don't think I have any headphones in my stable with treble like that, so but I don't think that's something I've ever experienced so I'm not really sure how to tell if it'll bother me or not. I don't think demoing is an option.

Aug 2, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #2 of 4
The Meze's have very snug pads - you might not find much room for your ears inside them, so that's probably the most important long-term consideration for you. The earcups of the Beyers are cavernous, they also have a nice low end which I think is more tastefully implemented than the 99's.

Aug 8, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 4
And meze 99 sounds like the darkness self

Users who are viewing this thread

Back