DT 770 80 Ohm don't sound all that loud in Fiio E10K Amp
May 5, 2019 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TomD

New Head-Fier
I recently purchased some DT 770 Ohm for use with my PC, however through my motherboard they just weren't loud enough. I then purchased a Fiio E10K amp and with the gain set to high and the amp set to maximum, the DT 770 still don't sound 'super loud'. I've seen people describe the fiio e10k and the 770 80ohm as 'deafening' after level 4-5 on the amp

Anyone else had similar issues?

May 5, 2019 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 6
Is your computer volume maxed ?

May 5, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 6
It will depend heavily on the type of content you're listening to. Movies and certain types of music will have a lot of headroom built into the recording which means you may need more gain to get to high volumes. Modern recorded music is often maxed out with little to no headroom, it may be loud at lower gain or volume settings.

May 5, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 6
I recently purchased some DT 770 Ohm for use with my PC, however through my motherboard they just weren't loud enough. I then purchased a Fiio E10K amp and with the gain set to high and the amp set to maximum, the DT 770 still don't sound 'super loud'. I've seen people describe the fiio e10k and the 770 80ohm as 'deafening' after level 4-5 on the amp

Anyone else had similar issues?
Return the DT770, get the 32-Ohm Soundmagic HP151 headphones.

May 5, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #5 of 6

Is Windows at 100%?

Also I doubt the E10K has drastically more power than the motherboard to begin with, considering you need to double the input power for every 3dB increase.

Speaking of the motherboard, is that a gaming motherboard with the on-board DSP and good headphone driver circuit? If yes then go into the DSP suite and make sure it's on high gain mode. That could be called something else, since gamer marketing needs to call it something more appealing than plain engineering language, like "Pro G4m3R MaXXX1muM P4wn4ge Mode" or something only slightly less idiotic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back