DT-770 250 ohm + FiiO E11 or DT-770 32 ohm
Dec 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

butterfingazz

New Head-Fier
Hi, so I've been wanting to buy some headphones recently and the Beyerdynamic DT-770's look like a good choice for what I'm looking for, I'm having trouble with which pair to buy though, I'm going to mainly be listening to them at home but on my iPod a decent amount too, I read somewhere that 250 ohm headphones + an amp sound better than 32 ohm headphones or something of that sort, the FiiO E11 is what I can afford so that's the amp I would be using with the 250 ohm version if I bought them, anyways I hope someone can help me out. Thanks in advanced!
Tl;DR: 250 Ohm + E11 vs. 32 Ohm

Dec 29, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #2 of 17
The 600 ohm is what you want. If you will be using it with an ipod/iphone a lot without an amp then get the 32 ohm. If you will be getting a portable amp you should go with a higher impedance. The 250 ohm version is okay. From what I have seen and heard, the 600 ohm is the best version of the bunch.

I bought the 250 ohm a few weeks ago and will be returning them. I found them lacking mids (apparently a common theme for these headphones). I tried the 32 ohm from a buddy of mine and they sounded okay. The mids were decent. Maybe I didn't break them in enough, who knows. I figured if it's not there in the beginning it's not going to magically appear later on.

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #4 of 17
  Hi, so I've been wanting to buy some headphones recently and the Beyerdynamic DT-770's look like a good choice for what I'm looking for, I'm having trouble with which pair to buy though, I'm going to mainly be listening to them at home but on my iPod a decent amount too, I read somewhere that 250 ohm headphones + an amp sound better than 32 ohm headphones or something of that sort, the FiiO E11 is what I can afford so that's the amp I would be using with the 250 ohm version if I bought them, anyways I hope someone can help me out. Thanks in advanced!
Tl;DR: 250 Ohm + E11 vs. 32 Ohm

Audio Technica ATH-A900X ($220), with Hifiman Velour ear pads ($10),
The A900X is only 40-Ohms.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #8 of 17
 I second neybar's opinion. The DT770 Pro 250 with the Fiio E12 sound great and provide you with good isolation. Plus the comfort of the Beyerdynamics is unsurpassed IMO.

Would the E10 work well for these? I know it can power up to 300 ohms and it also having a DAC built in should help the sound quality quite a bit I think.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 17
Would the E10 work well for these? I know it can power up to 300 ohms and it also having a DAC built in should help the sound quality quite a bit I think.

Yes, but E10 is not portable. You should consider E07K.

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 17
 Yes, but E10 is not portable. You should consider E07K.

E07K is higher than my price range, E7 isn't though, but I also don't like the LED screen, in a video review of one of the two (I forget which one) the screen was flickering. Also, I don't know if you would know this or not but does E7/E07K function while charging? because I know that the E11 doesn't and it's a portable amp so I don't know.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #11 of 17
  E07K is higher than my price range, E7 isn't though, but I also don't like the LED screen, in a video review of one of the two (I forget which one) the screen was flickering.

I own Fiio E07K and my LED screen works perfectly.

E7 is not as powerful as E07K, and then, it is not the best pick if you are planning to drive 250 Ohm Beyers.

I own Fiio E10, and it's also very nice. But as I've told you, it only works when connected to your computer via USB.

Originally Posted by butterfingazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, I don't know if you would know this or not but does E7/E07K function while charging?

I can only talk for E07K: Yes.

I think you should consider Shure Srh-840, Soundmagic HP-100 and AudioTechnica A900x. None of them need extra amplification.

Best Luck!

Jan 1, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #12 of 17
Hey man, thanks for your replies, I've read a decent amount about those headphones and the DT-770's still seem like a better choice to me because of having the E10 available for the future if I want to buy a different pair of high ohm headphones. I've also read that SoungMAGIC HP100 and a few other headphones that don't REQUIRE an DAC/amp can still benefit a decent amount from a DAC/amp. But now that I know the E07K can be used while charging it's also going to be something I'll have to take into consideration because I travel a decent amount and other reasons as well.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #13 of 17
  Hey man, thanks for your replies, I've read a decent amount about those headphones and the DT-770's still seem like a better choice to me because of having the E10 available for the future if I want to buy a different pair of high ohm headphones. I've also read that SoungMAGIC HP100 and a few other headphones that don't REQUIRE an DAC/amp can still benefit a decent amount from a DAC/amp. But now that I know the E07K can be used while charging it's also going to be something I'll have to take into consideration because I travel a decent amount and other reasons as well.

I actually have heard the DT770s along with a E07K and they sound great. You cant go wrong with the soundmagic HP100, but for me the 770s have a bit more of a detailed sound with good isolation and unsurpassed comfort. If you decide to go with the 770s & the E07K, you wont be disappointed.

If you do decide to increase your budget, I would highly recommend the Fiio Mont Blanc. I find that it drives my Beyer T90s great and theyre the same impedance as the 770s. I havent been able to compare it to the E07K though, so it may not be that big of a difference for the extra money you would spend on the Mont Blanc.

Jan 1, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #14 of 17
I actually have heard the DT770s along with a E07K and they sound great. You cant go wrong with the soundmagic HP100, but for me the 770s have a bit more of a detailed sound with good isolation and unsurpassed comfort. If you decide to go with the 770s & the E07K, you wont be disappointed.

If you do decide to increase your budget, I would highly recommend the Fiio Mont Blanc. I find that it drives my Beyer T90s great and theyre the same impedance as the 770s. I havent been able to compare it to the E07K though, so it may not be that big of a difference for the extra money you would spend on the Mont Blanc.

I don't know about you but the Mont Blanc seems overkill for what I need, also looking for an amp/DAC in 1 and Mont Blanc is just an amp as far as I know.
I'll definitely consider the E07K, although the E10 is a lot cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back