DT 1990 Pros - To keep or not to keep?
Jun 25, 2021 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Kyle11690

New Head-Fier
Recently upgraded from a pair of HD598s to these. Really loving the sound of these cans........BUT...... I seem to not be able to use them without some heavy EQ to soften up some of the higher frequencies. It feels like when I do this I am removing some of the uniqueness and brightness that the headphones seem to have overall. I honestly cannot listen to them without the adjustments as it is almost unbearable. Am I losing it??

To me it is super noticeable, almost painful, on any vocals that end with "s" or "z" or hi-hat types of sounds, without the EQ. I find myself having to adjust the volume constantly as well.

Am I in no mans land here or has anyone else had this issue??? Thinking about swapping to some HD650s as I apparently have some super sensitive hearing.....but I can't decide :frowning2:

Really curious to know if anyone else has had this experience.

Kyle

Jun 25, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 7
SELL, get 6XX or 650

Jun 25, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 7
Gah!!! Was afraid that might be the best solution here :frowning2: Thanks for all the advice. Going to try the HD650's or 6XXs.

My price range is probably around 600 max here so the DT 1990 Pro's were at my limit. Sennheisers appear to be the next best thing for my listening preferences.

Jun 27, 2021 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 7
I was in the same boat, that treble peak makes any piece of sound that hits that region a bit unbearable and unnatural sounding. Some say that using Dekoni Elite Hybrid pads alleviates this issue for the most part (although I have not tried it myself before I sold them).

I seem to not be able to use them without some heavy EQ to soften up some of the higher frequencies. It feels like when I do this I am removing some of the uniqueness and brightness that the headphones seem to have overall.

I would use the word "faults" than "uniqueness" for adjusting their treble region, because it renders instrument pieces unnatural when it covers near that 8.5kHz area. Beyerdynamic seems to have tuned it that way on purpose, but just because it was intended, doesn't mean it's correct or natural (you could probably say naturally Beyerdynamic in a sense).

You could go for something like the Sundara, HE-400i/SE series, or the HD6XX/HD600 as alternatives and would likely not have the same treble peaks.

Jun 27, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #7 of 7
Recently upgraded from a pair of HD598s to these. Really loving the sound of these cans........BUT...... I seem to not be able to use them without some heavy EQ to soften up some of the higher frequencies. It feels like when I do this I am removing some of the uniqueness and brightness that the headphones seem to have overall. I honestly cannot listen to them without the adjustments as it is almost unbearable. Am I losing it??

To me it is super noticeable, almost painful, on any vocals that end with "s" or "z" or hi-hat types of sounds, without the EQ. I find myself having to adjust the volume constantly as well.

Am I in no mans land here or has anyone else had this issue??? Thinking about swapping to some HD650s as I apparently have some super sensitive hearing.....but I can't decide :frowning2:

Really curious to know if anyone else has had this experience.

Kyle

"Super sensitive hearing" is not required to find Beyer headphones, (in general) sizzly hot.

The HD650, are going to give you a lot of low mids, or upper lows, depending on which makes more sense to you, as a FR concept.

You might try the more affordable HD560S , instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back