DT 1990 Pro - Setup
Jul 7, 2021 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PureJaz

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Hope everyone is well in these crazy times.

I have just ordered the DT 1990 Pro's as an upgrade to my HD598's. I am also looking to to upgrade my Dac/AMP situation thus have come here for expert advice (like i received when i got the HD598's).

Currently i have an Asus Essence STX + Marantz PM6004 combination.

I was thinking a Schiit stack but really open to anything. In terms of budget (the cheaper the better) though i'll spend what is needed (up to a point given the law of diminishing returns).

Is it also worth changing the headphone cable/cups?

Many thanks all.

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi All,

I have just ordered the DT 1990 Pro's as an upgrade to my HD598's. I am also looking to to upgrade my Dac/AMP situation thus have come here for expert advice (like i received when i got the HD598's).

I was thinking a Schiit stack but really open to anything. In terms of budget (the cheaper the better) though i'll spend what is needed (up to a point given the law of diminishing returns).

Many thanks all.
The basic Schiit stack (Magni/Modi) ought to be plenty for the 1990's. No point in getting new cables if you intend keeping to run them single-ended.

Jul 7, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks Mighty,

I forgot to mention that i am intending to upgrade the DT 1990 Pro's eventually to the Clear Focal. So ideally would like something that would suit this too.

I also have a pair of QX-2's so would like something that would allow me to switch between the headphones and speakers (like the PM6004).

Jul 7, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 6
Maybe the Topping DX7 Pro?

Mine should arrive this afternoon.

Jul 7, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks Mighty,

I forgot to mention that i am intending to upgrade the DT 1990 Pro's eventually to the Clear Focal. So ideally would like something that would suit this too.

I also have a pair of QX-2's so would like something that would allow me to switch between the headphones and speakers (like the PM6004).
The Clear is even easier to drive than the 1990, so no worries there.

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #6 of 6
Hi All,

Many thanks all.
DT 1990 are great 'phones! I use mine with the JDS Atom stack, which (at least on paper) should sound the same as the Schiit. Which is to say, great. I honestly don't think I'd ever need more.
Advantages of the Atom stack is multiple inputs on both DAC and amp, and power, gain and input switches on the front panel.
Advantage of the Schiit is the metal casing. The Atom stack does feel a bit chintzy (though apparently, if you ask, they'll add weights to give it a bit more heft, and there's a nicer knob you can buy).
Both should work as a preamp with your Marantz or other speaker amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back