DSPs: Convert Stereo to Binaural
Dec 14, 2003 at 5:01 PM Post #16 of 20
ASDFer, that is a very interesting plugin you have put together. I'm still undecided on whether it makes my music more enjoyable, but I think it does what it is supposed to do pretty effectively. I haven't experienced any crashing (other than a few while I was figuring out how to set up the folder), but I do get stuttering when attempting to play a CD or a .wma file.

For a proof of concept, it gets a thumbs up. If you find the time and desire to work on it, I'm sure you will find plenty of people to bug you with feature requests
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 12:49 PM Post #18 of 20
Great news, thanks. Some questions/thoughts:

- Is it possible to put the directory containing the HRTF files somewhere else (e.g. back to a fb2k components sub-folder) - having it in c:\ reminds me of win95 days
wink.gif
(not really important).

- Any news about 5.1 -> binaural conversion? (Just out of curiosity, for my needs stereo -> binaural is enough)

I've been thinking about how to further improve the results. There are 2 thoughts:

1. adjust the effect to different headphones. For this (inverse) impulse responses for headphone -> in-ear microphone would be necessary. I think I'll start a seperate thread about this, probably at hydrogenaudio. If anyone reading this knows where to find frequency response curves or impulse responses of different headphones (measured with in-ear headphones)

2. Add some room simulation with attenuated echos coming from different directions (I've already done this with my 1st trial)

(ASDFer, don't worry - these thoughts aren't meant as feature request for you, because they can be added by changing the impulse responses without any modification of the plugin needed... - besides maybe an option to load a set of impulse responses manually. The sliders could be disabled in this case.)

Oct 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #20 of 20
I've been using an Ispase SMK unit for approx. six months and it gives great binaural sound from stereo and surround.  They have demos on the site at www.ispase.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back