DSLR Help!
Sep 17, 2005 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

la_marquise

100+ Head-Fier
I had such great advice from the Head-fi community last time on my laptop search (now I am pondering on how to get a Sager in Canada sans freight...thx gsferrari et al!) that I am going to ask for advice on non-music/audio related subject:

DIGITAL SLR!!

1. How do you explain to your boss (really nice kindly paternal figure) that the DSC-V1 "prosumer" Sony is NOT going to get him catalogue worthy pictures? I brought this up and his response was "But it's a Sony with Carl Zeiss...and all your other pictures to date look good provided the lighting was ok...how about you go buy lights instead?? How much do you need" I said 500 to get a couple continuous 1000w with umbrella kit (can't afford a softbox here).

2. Yes, I need light. Last year I got handed a Jetsgo ticket and told to go to Montreal to shoot equipment products in our warehouse. I asked them to set up lighting studio style. I show up, with the said Sony and my film SLR, and find that I am shooting in a warehouse with the lighting done as though I am in Moria....!

3. I am now looking at the Canon Digital XT kit with the standard lens 18 -55 EF-S lens. But I think I will either need another lens or upgrade the kit lens so I can take wide angle and super close-ups as well. The only problem is that I have to keep lens/es and body to under 1500 CAD....(Trying to get an advance on some contract work from my boss to buy the camera) What lens-es do you recommend? I was looking at some Sigmas instead of the brand name Canon....

Please help! Is there a photography version of head-fi? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 17, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 28
If you're on a tight budget, I would go on eBay and find a used Canon 10D body and wide zoom lens. I wouldn't go for the EF-S lenses, because those are the cheap lenses that come in the Digital Rebel kits, and they're not the best for money. The EF lenses are what the pros use, and they usually go start around $150 for used, especially the wide zooms that are the most versatile.

Sep 17, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by la_marquise
But it's a Sony with Carl Zeiss

biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Try the forums at dpreview.com or the forums at stevesdigicams.com

You can probably find a D70 or D70s kit on ebay for ~ 1500 CAD

Sep 17, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by la_marquise
Please help! Is there a photography version of head-fi? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

You can try fredmiranda.com or photo.net. I often visit their forums and most of people are quite nice. As far as your questions go, can you be little more specific on what your intended subjects (what do you mean by equipment product)? Are they tiny, like wrist watches, or big, constructional equipment? I don't think anyone can give descent advise unless you tell us more about your products (size, dimension, colors, reflectivity) and environment where they are to be pictured. For tiny objects, you will need a micro lens with different tripod/rail options, where larger object, you will need larger studio lighting option. You also need to consider do you want shallow depth of the field or maximize the depth of the field? Depending on your goals and requirements, your lens selection may vary.

Frankly, for general purpose catalog, Digital Rebel w/ kit lens may be fine, but you can pick up 50mm F1.8 lens (should be 80mm using Digital Rebel with 1.6x crop factor) for $70 USD which allows you to shoot using shallower DOF. If you do need to shoot larger item in tight distance, you will need a superwide zoom which will probably exceed your budget.

Sep 17, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 28
Actually, look into the Sony DSC-R1, it's not an SLR, but uses an APS-C sized sensor. So it is technically capable of shooting high quality images. Provided you don't need specialized lenses, this camera may be the best compromise.

Although, it is alot cheaper to just buy a Pentax *ist DS. At least in the US.

-Ed

Sep 17, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 28
A nice thing about the Rebel XT that you are considering is that it can store a photo as RAW and jpeg simultaneously. This lets you do a quick browse through a folder full of images without having to load up your RAW viewer to see what's there -- this can be a real timesaver, if your workflow ever involves doing that kind of thing.

I'm sure some of the other cameras out there also can do this trick, but I'm not sure which ones. I believe it is a relatively recent addition to the Canon line.*

[size=xx-small]*some of the older Canons can theoretically store both RAW and jpeg simultaneously, but they do it by storing the jpeg inside the RAW image, which IMO isn't really very useful.[/size]

Sep 18, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sennheiser
Get a Canon L 70-200 F2.8 IS. That's some seriously good glass.

I think that lens alone is out of his price range. Remember he needs to be under $1500CD.
Rebel XT body, and the 17-85is that is standard on the 20d would be a great choice, and close to your price range.
Nikon D50 is nice, with the 18-75 would be a nice setup. I like the D70s better, but just be aware that it is End-of-Life, and dealers are not going to recieve many (maybe any) more cameras.

Sep 18, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #9 of 28
If you aren't committed to cannon, look at the Nikon D50... it has a good feature set for a fairly attractive price, though personally I'd spring for the D70. (Particularly since D70 prices may decline soon because of the introduction of the D70S)

For lenses, it really depends on what you are doing. The D70 kit lens (if you can get it within your budget) is really quite nice but it doesn't focus close enough for macro work. Otherwise, sigma produces several very good (note I didn't say great or perfect) macro lenses for very good prices. (Look at their 50mm f2.8 Macro for instance)

The Pentax *ist D can sometimes be found very cheap, which makes it a good contender. Never used Pentax lenses myself, but my father seems pretty happy with his.

Don't dismiss a camera just because it isn't a DSLR, depending on your final useage and how much time you are willing to take on proper lighting, they can produce good images. What you lose, in my experience, is primarily noise performance, general clarity and flexibility but if the output is going to be a 2" x 2" product shot or something like that you could probably get away with it.

Sep 18, 2005 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 28
What is it you mainly shoot? If you shoot subjects that you set up yourself (i.e. not a reporter or a field photographer etc) then I'd sugest stay away from zoom lenses. Fixed lenses tend to be sharper, and of a wider aperature, depending on your needs.

Sep 18, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
The Pentax *st DS with Kit Lens is $659.00 at www.butterflyphoto.com.

The Body only is $559. Man, that's as cheap as it gets.

-Ed

Wow! Now that is cheap! I've got to share that link around with some of my less fortunate photographic bretheren...

Sep 18, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
Wow! Now that is cheap! I've got to share that link around with some of my less fortunate photographic bretheren...

Yeah, that's where I bought my *ist DS. Except, it cost me $649 for the Body only kit, but that was early this year.

Of course, I didn't realize I would spend more than that on lenses and accessories. 3 lenses, filters, and a P-TTL flash.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Sep 18, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #14 of 28
Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D) is a step above all other DSLRs in it's price range in regard to image quality. It's also smaller and lighter than it's compeditors, but this isn't a plus for everyone. Those with larger hands may find the 350D's grip uncomfortably small. I recommend you go to a store like Best Buy or anywhere else where this camera is sold and hold it before you buy it.

I would whole-heartedly recommend this camera to anyone looking for a moderately priced DSLR, however the lens included in the kit version definitely does not do it justice (you certainly won't get "magazine quality" photos out of this lens). If you want a versatile zoom lens, the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM is the best choice (it includes the invaluable Image Stabilization feature!), however it's nearly as expensive as the camera body. If your budget is set in stone, buying cheaper primaries (non-zooming) lenses is the way to go - if you buy nice Canon USM primaries, this will also maximize your image quality and maximum aperature.

What most people don't understand about SLRs (digital or film) is that the lens is what determines the vast majority of the picture quality. Any of the DSLRs on the market will give you decent results with a great lens, but comparing these entry-level price range cameras all with good lenses, the Rebel XT slightly outshines the competition with regard to pure image quality. Hindering any SLR with a "kit" lens or other lesser quality lens will yield you pictures that don't justify the cost over non-SLR cameras with built-in lenses. In fact, some of the top digital compacts have better optics than cheap SLR lenses.

So in many ways, the price of admission for these digital DSLRs is misleading, if you want to take pictures worthy of the technology behind these cameras (and worthy of the price you paid for the body compared to digital compacts) - you really need good lenses, and for studio quality photos - aftermarket flashes and/or studio lighting.

-dd3mon

Sep 19, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #15 of 28
It's really hard to make recommendations without knowing your intended use.

I use a D70, and picked it over Canon because the Nikon was very intuitive to use....and I had been a longtime Canon film SLR user. The Nikon body felt better to my hands, and controls were more natural than the Rebel or 20D.

As for your choice of camera, the 17-55 kit lens of the Rebel XT is fine for the price they charge, as it better than any $100-ish lens ought to, but you can do a lot better. I'd skip over the cheaper Sigma replacements, I have used budget Sigmas before and they were really lacking. Poor feel, and so-so quality. Sigmas are really hit and miss IMO. There are a few gems in their line in the past but I haven't tried their new digital specific models, but nothing that I've read indicate their budget ones are worth going out of the way for.

That's the main reason I chose the D70, the bundled Nikon 18-70mm F3.5-4.5 lens is an excellent lens for the money, well worth the $450 MSRP CAD they charge for it. It's an excellent walkaround lens, one you can leave on your camera at all times, even for quality work, but still small enough as a casual use lens. For more specific work, you can augment that lens with a macro, ultra wide zoom, or high 75-300 telephoto, and you have a good setup to cover everything.

For you, I would take a serious look at getting a D50 with a 18-70DX Nikon lens.....that combo is around $1200. You can add the excellent $300 SB600 flash later.
I bought my system at simonscameras.com, no PST out of Quebec, and fast good service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back