DSD over DoP broken on iPhone 15 USB
Dec 15, 2023 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

originalsnuffy

Headphoneus Supremus
I love DSD. It simply sounds more analog than any other digital sound format to me. Not that 24 bit PCM can’t sound good. But DSD is great to my ears. Hey Mobile Fidelity has used it for creating vinyl for years and we know they care about audio quality.

But somehow DSD over DOP remains broken with IOS 17.2. Neutron thinks that the reporting of bitrates between the USB C phones, music apps, and dongles is problematic.

One app can sort of handle this on one of my two dongles. It is called Ever Play. But it is otherwise buggy. For example gapless is broken.

The developer of Neutron is aware of the issue but has not introduced a work around to force output at higher bitrates if chosen by users. No one else seems to even respond to the issue.

I hope there will be solutions. Let’s discuss!

Dec 18, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 8
I love DSD. It simply sounds more analog than any other digital sound format to me. Not that 24 bit PCM can’t sound good. But DSD is great to my ears. Hey Mobile Fidelity has used it for creating vinyl for years and we know they care about audio quality.

But somehow DSD over DOP remains broken with IOS 17.2. Neutron thinks that the reporting of bitrates between the USB C phones, music apps, and dongles is problematic.

One app can sort of handle this on one of my two dongles. It is called Ever Play. But it is otherwise buggy. For example gapless is broken.

The developer of Neutron is aware of the issue but has not introduced a work around to force output at higher bitrates if chosen by users. No one else seems to even respond to the issue.

I hope there will be solutions. Let’s discuss!

Try using Beta iOS update. see if it worked.

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #5 of 8
The public beta of IOS 17.4 works with the Neutron player and the Cayin RU7 and use of DoP for DSD or SACD. I was confused for a bit, but have now determined that the FIIO Q3-MQA receives DSD information via DoP but unfortunately a large amount of digital noise comes along for the ride.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 8
The public beta of IOS 17.4 works with the Neutron player and the Cayin RU7 and use of DoP for DSD or SACD. I was confused for a bit, but have now determined that the FIIO Q3-MQA receives DSD information via DoP but unfortunately a large amount of digital noise comes along for the ride.
@originalsnuffy Hi, I’m having the issue of static when playing DoP on an iPhone 15 using a Sonata BHD Pro DAC via USB-C. Any pointers or insight? No fixes found online help. I’m running iOS 17.4.1

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #7 of 8
@originalsnuffy Hi, I’m having the issue of static when playing DoP on an iPhone 15 using a Sonata BHD Pro DAC via USB-C. Any pointers or insight? No fixes found online help. I’m running iOS 17.4.1
So far I have not had any tips on what units will work. The developer of Neutron said his test units so work properly, but based on your comments at least two players have a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back