Drums?
Jun 16, 2005 at 9:06 PM Post #17 of 42
"I go to a different drummer... like a 30 minute drum solo, like that dude from Foghat. That's my drummer, the guy from Foghat......

I don't know his name, but he's really good"

Jun 16, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #18 of 42
Look for albums by Virgil Donati and Terry Bozzio. They're the best soloists I've ever heard.

Jun 16, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
No Buddy Rich fans?
confused.gif

He was slightly overated IMO. He's not bad at all, but I don't think he compares to Tony Williams, Billy Cobham, or Rodney Holmes - IMO.

Jun 16, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #20 of 42
in the world of drumming, if you've even heard of someone they have to be pretty damn good, and then even at that theres some crazily gifted drummers, like Terry Bozzio. But at the top, no matter how amazing other people are, i dont think Buddy Rich can be toppled, he was incredible, not to mention musical.

Jun 16, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #21 of 42
Anybody went to the metallica concert with godsmack. Godsmack played a drums solo, and is the best I have ever heard as far as drums (live, or recorded).

system of a down is also a band worth cheking out. Their song know from their first album begins with very fast drums. The song maybe a little too heavy for those not used to this type music. But the speed in their rythm is great.

Jun 16, 2005 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
Anybody went to the metallica concert with godsmack. Godsmack played a drums solo, and is the best I have ever heard as far as drums (live, or recorded).

system of a down is also a band worth cheking out. Their song know from their first album begins with very fast drums. The song maybe a little too heavy for those not used to this type music. But the speed in their rythm is great.

I would tend to disagree. It's typical now-a-days, with people like Slipknot's drummer.. who feel that they can go all-out and insane on the kit - IMO, on this new "metal" stuff, the drums are too chopped and full of pounding bass drum to even have it be conprehendable. It doesn't compliment the song at all, and as most know, drums are supposed to lead the band and set a musical base and standard.. if the drums are all-out and unorganized, what room is left for the band?

In the case of System of a Down, that guy is drumming so furiously compared to the playing of everybody else that they "make up" for it in their loudness. This is all IMO of course, but I think that this is the wrong method to take.

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #23 of 42
Actually, System of a down and Slipknot were a few of the bands that increased my interest in drumming, apart from the fact that I used to be a drummer. I must disagree about drummers being too strong, especially system of a down is vocally dominated.

Very nice recommendations
icon10.gif

Jun 17, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu
Actually, System of a down and Slipknot were a few of the bands that increased my interest in drumming, apart from the fact that I used to be a drummer. I must disagree about drummers being too strong, especially system of a down is vocally dominated.

Very nice recommendations
icon10.gif

I am a hardcore drummer as well.. and I am not a fan of this new tendency the more pop groups have (and this includes System of a Down and Slipknot). Some good drummers? Rodney Holmes is the best current example I can give ... just a perfect (and surprisingly calm and confident) feel. Check out his site http://www.rodneyholmes.com/

Jun 17, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #25 of 42
Dave Weckl
Antonio Sanchez

I've seen Peart over 20 times and can confidently say that he's not even in the same league as the two cats above. Weckl, obviously a well established player and composer and Sanchez is probably the best young drummer playing today from a technical standpoint. I guess Dennis Chambers should be on the list as well.

Jun 18, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
In the case of System of a Down, that guy is drumming so furiously compared to the playing of everybody else that they "make up" for it in their loudness. This is all IMO of course, but I think that this is the wrong method to take.

I think their guitarist either A) sucks, or B) tries to be bad or C) it's their point to be poor. I've noticed in several songs that they're really inconsistent and considering they use computers I was like What?!

Just to say, I've been noticing things like pick-noise lately, so if you can't hear that then well...
cool.gif

Jun 18, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #27 of 42
System of Down rocks. Their drummer is solid and very driving, but not worthy of being on the same list as some of these guys listed.

As for Mars Volta's drummer, he is definitely one of the most talented drummers I have had the priveledge of seeing live.

For blow your mind drums though, nothing touches the rhythm, technique and effortless complexity of the modern crop of Jazz drummers.(IMO)

Billy Martin from Medeski, Martin and Wood is insane live.
Also, whoever Charlie Hunter has on tour with him always seems to drop my jaw on regular intervals.

Jun 19, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif
For blow your mind drums though, nothing touches the rhythm, technique and effortless complexity of the modern crop of Jazz drummers.(IMO)

That about sums it up. As mentioned a couple posts above, I thought Neil Peart was the bomb but once I started listening to contemporary jazz I was blown away. I like to use Dave Weckl as a perfect example. The cd Perpetual Motion is very accessible, even for rock and rollers and you will get a glimpse of what this octopus can do. For actual musician drummers I recommend the previous release from Dave, "Transition." I love drummers and playing air drums but after playing this cd 30+ times I still cannot follow along because of how abstract the timing and rythms are. It's a whole other level of musicianship. Antonio Sanchez is the latest drummer for the Pat Metheny Group and he is equally as accomplished at 27 years old. The guy is a monster! Marcus Baylor from the Yellowjackets is another.

Keep the blinders off and the ears and minds open as there is a lot of music out there to digest.

Jun 20, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #29 of 42
i still say thomas lang and virgil donati are among the best i have ever heard.. considering weckl and most everybody else mentioned thus far that i have listened to before.

imo, of course.

Jun 20, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver

I was going to mention that. Here it was amazing, although it was a drum duet instead of solo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back