Drummers Unite
Jul 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #16 of 19
Have you checked out [size=small]www.[/size][size=small]houseofdrumming[/size][size=small].com or drummerworld.com? In addition to youtube videos, these websites are great resources for inspiration and learning this craft.  [/size]

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #17 of 19
Active on Drummerworld and Sonor Museum (acoustic) and Vdrums (electronic) forums.  Very much agreed there is a LOT to learn from the collective knowledge and talents on those sites!

Jul 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #18 of 19
"drumming" expertise is very relative and subjective. Having followed all of the top drummers in most all generes one thing remains clear....

Rock drummers play great until they are forced to play jazz type of arrangements.... where jazz drummers (that already grew up playing rock) are unfazed playing any type of rock music. As great as Neil Peart was... (my Idol from about 1976-2000) jazz drummers like Dave Weckl and Antonio Sanchez are several levels above and I would bet Neil would agree. I read something to that effect about 3 years ago.

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:
"drumming" expertise is very relative and subjective. Having followed all of the top drummers in most all generes one thing remains clear....

Rock drummers play great until they are forced to play jazz type of arrangements.... where jazz drummers (that already grew up playing rock) are unfazed playing any type of rock music. As great as Neil Peart was... (my Idol from about 1976-2000) jazz drummers like Dave Weckl and Antonio Sanchez are several levels above and I would bet Neil would agree. I read something to that effect about 3 years ago.

I think by and large your assertion is true, but I think Neil is certainly an exception. If you haven't already, check out his playing with the Buddy Rich Big Band on the album Burning for Buddy Vol. 1. He swings as hard as anyone on Cotton Tail!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back