Drummer's perspective, or audience's perspective?
Apr 6, 2011 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Eee Pee

Headphoneus Supremus
Twenty years ago I didn't care which side the hi hat came from, or which direction the toms rolled, left to right or vice versa.  Then I started playing the drums and more or less stopped listening critically to music.  Years later I'm listening again and not playing drums.  Now I REALLY care where the hi hat is placed and which way the fills go.  And I'm finding most of the time the drums are mixed from the drummer's perspective, and it's killing me because I'm trying to pretend to listen to the band as they're on the stage.  
biggrin.gif

I have a very short list of drummers mixed from the audience's perspective.  Very short.  And one of them I found out is a left hand drummer mixed from his perspective after watching their Youtube video of live shows.  Wish I never watched those videos.  It was The Dismemberment Plan... great drummer.

I've done some reading on some recording sites I found from Google to see what is in the mind of these mixing producers, and it seems it's because the drummer of the band wants to hear it as he plays it.  Lame.

Am I alone in this?  

Anyone have any band recommendations where they got the drummer mixed with the hi hat on the right and toms roll right to left?  Ya know, properly, as if I'm watching the drummer.

If they're gonna make listen from the drummer's perspective, at least put the bass and guitar backwards too!  
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi Pal, I started a thread called Best Drummer's All Time, Past, Present: let the beat's begin. Check it out I know there are a few drummer's replying back and forth to each other on the last 2 to 3 page's. Maybe they can help! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back